free website stats program Late Model Nightster - Water In Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Late Model Nightster - Water In Primary

RibEye

I have a friend that has been informed that he had water in his primary. He had ridden it in the rain pretty good. The bike does not leak oil, so my guess is that the entry point is higher than the lube level sits when not running. I suggested the seal for the shaft that drives his belt sprocket let water in when hitting puddles at a good clip. I'm only guessing.

Any other ideas? I already told him not to ride in the rain. :p

Thanks,
Rich P

I have a friend that has been informed that he had water in his primary. He had ridden it in the rain pretty good. The bike does not leak oil, so my guess is that the entry point is higher than the lube level sits when not running. I suggested the seal for the shaft that drives his belt sprocket let water in when hitting puddles at a good clip. I'm only guessing.

Any other ideas? I already told him not to ride in the rain. :p

Thanks,
Rich P

Hard to figure. Who told him he had water in the Primary? Trustworthy?

TQ

IF enough water got into the primary to mix with the oil causing contamination ,,,Viewed when drained,,, and NO oil leaking out ,,, I would suspect the stator seal where the wires come out. ?????????? as the only place that is out front in the wind, Now in the Water.

signed....BUBBIE

It is possible to suck water in through a shaft seal.
In 2009 I was on a trip in BC Canada, I was riding in 100 degree temperatures and got caught in a downpour, the temperature dropped to 70 rapidly and it was raining so hard the road was one big puddle. I had water in the primary after this. I had changed all fluids before this trip but after riding in this rain something didnt feel right in the clutch so I inspected inside the primary, the oil looked like coffee with milk in it. Took it to a dealer to have the oil changed and I was told by the mech that he had seen this a number of times in the area I was in.
What was explained to me is that the primary was very hot and the rapid cooldown driving though that ice cold water caused a vacuum that drew the water in for a brief period.

Im' just sayin' I have seen this on my own bike once.......

It is possible to suck water in through a shaft seal.
In 2009 I was on a trip in BC Canada, I was riding in 100 degree temperatures and got caught in a downpour, the temperature dropped to 70 rapidly and it was raining so hard the road was one big puddle. I had water in the primary after this. I had changed all fluids before this trip but after riding in this rain something didnt feel right in the clutch so I inspected inside the primary, the oil looked like coffee with milk in it. Took it to a dealer to have the oil changed and I was told by the mech that he had seen this a number of times in the area I was in.
What was explained to me is that the primary was very hot and the rapid cooldown driving though that ice cold water caused a vacuum that drew the water in for a brief period.

Im' just sayin' I have seen this on my own bike once.......
There's one for the MYTHBUSTERS. I say very PLAUSIBLE.

I am with Bubbie on this one, I ride a lot in the rain and have not had this happen. Is the oil milky in color?

I am with Bubbie on this one, I ride a lot in the rain and have not had this happen. Is the oil milky in color?
He was told he had water by the indy that did his service. Yes, his primary oil looked like coffee with cream.

Thanks guys. I'll mention the stator wire seal, as well as the cool-down vacuum.

If you have more ideas, throw them out there...

Thanks,
Rich P

What year bike?
I might try draining the primary and then take a rubber cork with a small hole in it, and apply some compressed air with a blow gun. Limit it to maybe 10 PSI on the regulator. Then take some soap suds and with a brush paint the seals, starter mounting, stator grommet etc, etc. Anyplace water could get in. You will know it when you hit it.

Back