free website stats program Last shot on this one..03 RKC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Last shot on this one..03 RKC

On my 00 the Crank Position Sensor was the problem...

Starting it , it ran for a few seconds then backfired a few times DEAD... Start it and backfire then NOTHING... Trying to start it only wore the battery down...

This type of Problem can go on for a long time BEFORE it is totally DEAD...

Replaced the Crank Sensor and Presto SOLVED the problem.

If yours is a long lead and hard to replace IT Can be cut and connected together in a Splice...

I ran mine up and thru the wire harness WAY up under the seat... I had Both a crank sensor and the Cam one.... Both replaced under warranty and by me...:newsmile07:

I think your 03 only has the Crank sensor...

signed....BUBBIE

OH Yes.... It gave out NO CODES...

Yep, I'm slow. Here is where I am.

Fuel, drained and new in. No joy there
New plugs and wires - no change
Cleaned out and watched the IAC working (open close)
No leaks
No change on the wiggle test
Battery tested good

I opened up the fuel system. All of that is relatively new. I didn't break it down though.

So.I can get her towed for 50 and diagnose for 100. Or, I can go the Stray Dog way and try a 50 buck CPS. I've read a million symptoms on that thing,but I'm fearing I'm throwing darts..........from 500ft. Looks like an easy install???

One note, even historical codes won't show.

Looks like she'll stay with me until I get her running right.
\

Hang in there, you'll figure it out. My theory is that she knows you have been thinking about kicking her to the curb and she is showing you her little trick... Sorry, I have a weak spot for 03 Kings....:D

\

Hang in there, you'll figure it out. My theory is that she knows you have been thinking about kicking her to the curb and she is showing you her little trick... Sorry, I have a weak spot for 03 Kings....:D
I would not trade my 03 king even up for a new bike I would get the bad end of the deal

I have the sensor. Storms, fences and high water is slowing me down. To be continued this next weekend.

Those pin connectors.......I'll need to study up on those. Never dealt with those.

Well, she's getting me back for the thought of selling.

Just changed the CPS. Same results. It's gotta be fuel related. Starts strong, instantly bogs and eventually dies. All in15-20 secs.

It's 12:00 somewhere. :newsmile07:

To be continued

One more thing.
I started her back up. I double checked for leaks. I also cleaned the iac. I can throttle her up and keep her running. Keeping a steady throttle, she will drop and go back up again, drop and up, drop and up. All the time, keeping a steady throttle at the grip.

Does that tell me anything new? Still rough

And yes, it is 12:00 somewhere. :cheers

Well that's depressing. Was really thinking a timing issue when you said "Did I mention I see flame/backfire in the throttle body ".
After some more reading, to rule out the CKP as best as possible, unplug the ECM- pin #12 (BK+) & pin#30 (R+) are for the CKP. From what I've read, you should have 950-1200 ohms and while turning motor with the starter you should have a 2-5vac signal from the ckp (I've also read 1-5vac, but 1 being minimum..??).
The MAP sensor also could be a problem here as I believe it has some affect on advance/retard timing & fuel. I'm very hesitant at suggesting throwing any more parts at it without knowing for sure but I would at least check-clean-dielectric grease all of these connections (IAC too).

maybe fuel pressure like Ribeye said earlier...??

That's about all from me...I'm bummed-out the ckp didn't get you back on the road, hang in there & good luck!

first thing to check is fuel pressure. ckp those things r good or bad no in between all they do is send signal to tell ecm engine speed. map sensor un plug it see if any different at idle. if ckp was bad it will not start. CHECK FUEL PRESSURE.

Ok, Ribeye Chief, I went the fuel way. A second visual didn't show me anything new.

Question. The fuel pressure gauge, that isn't the Autozone types I can rent, is it? I saw Jim's on line for $400+ that just ain't gonna happen.

I can walk out in my garage and I can almost hear her (the scoot) laughing at me for trying to sell her.

On the bright side, I have a spare regulator and cps. :newsmile108:
Somebody can use them someday.

Back