free website stats program Last shot on this one..03 RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

Last shot on this one..03 RKC

Amish Hawg

Contributor
03 RKC (again) EFI, new battery, new voltage Reg. I start her up, she comes on strong.......I see some backfiring in the intake and she dies....roughly 15 seconds. Starts right back up, but same results. starts fine, sputters, dies

a so called "indy" double checked me and I replaced the above mentioned. I feel I've been had. ( rookie move on my part)

Am I going the right direction if I :
Fuel - change it. This all started 20 miles after a fill up
check for an intake leak? ( can that happen suddenly)
wiggle test on the injectors
my cps?
clean out the AIC?

Im genuinely a weekend away from selling her and going new and this happens....pffffft. Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated:newsmile07:

I like your direction. Specially changing the fuel part... I hate that you are sending her down the road soon though.:(

03 RKC (again) EFI, new battery, new voltage Reg. I start her up, she comes on strong.......I see some backfiring in the intake and she dies....roughly 15 seconds. Starts right back up, but same results. starts fine, sputters, dies

a so called "indy" double checked me and I replaced the above mentioned. I feel I've been had. ( rookie move on my part)

Am I going the right direction if I :
Fuel - change it. This all started 20 miles after a fill up
check for an intake leak? ( can that happen suddenly)
wiggle test on the injectors
my cps?
clean out the AIC?

Im genuinely a weekend away from selling her and going new and this happens....pffffft. Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated:newsmile07:

DONT sell it! 03 King...no way :D

Check for codes.

Start with charged and known good battery, hook up VOM to Battery, if the volts get down to 9vdc when problems start you have a problem there.

Gas?? syphon out as much as possible and add fresh with something to take out moisture/water and let sit for hours. You still need to run long enough to use fuel already in the lines/rail.

Why not check for intake leaks- free n easy (if bike stays running long enough).

Wiggle test injector wires-yes, you are in the right years for the tight wire harness that had these broken wire problems (I know!).

It definitely could be the CPK (CPS). I've been trying to bone up on how to test these things and I'm somewhat VOM challenged, so take following at your own risk........
With bike cranking it will produce it's own current, 1-5vac (AC). There is also an ohm test, I'm a bit fuzzy here but, set meter at x100 and CKP should read around 1000.
Note that if it tests bad-it is bad & if it tests good it still may be bad. :19:

IAC..??

Good Luck!

Go have a fuel pressure test done. What you describe sounds like one or more holes in the internal fuel lines or sticking fuel pressure regulator (low fuel rail pressure).

Injector wires can break internally, and be a mother bear to find. I had to finally raise up my tank, disconnect the lines from the ecu and injectors, unstrap the injector wires from the frame, and do a serious continuity test with a meter (beeper enabled). I put a jumper at the injector end and tied the meter to the injector line and return at the ecu connector. I found that she would only disconnect when the wires were moved just so. As it turned out, it was a bad crimp on one injector connector pin (supplied with aftermarket fuel tuner and had 2 wires in the same crimp which is generally not a good idea).

She did not throw any codes for a long time, until the problem got quite bad. She would run good until the engine warmed up and the wires became more flexible.

Good luck,
Rich P

Well, I see I'm with good company on this thread. Thank you all.

Question: These symptoms, they started while running down the road. It happened instantly and has been consistently bad ever since. Am I still looking for the same problems under that scenario?

Steps I'll take:
plugs/wires - when this was sputtering on the side of the road, i pulled the rear cyl wire, no difference in performance. I guess that would come in handy to let you know that. Now, if i do that, she wont start
Fuel - change it
Battery - good, checked today
wiggle test - fuel injectors
CPK/CPS sensor - change it out??
Cuss like a Cable Guy and tow her to the shop.

War paint, bandana and sleevless T on.......I'm going in.

Thanks again

Did I mention I see flame/backfire in the throttle body

Well, I see I'm with good company on this thread. Thank you all.

Question: These symptoms, they started while running down the road. It happened instantly and has been consistently bad ever since. Am I still looking for the same problems under that scenario?

Steps I'll take:
plugs/wires - when this was sputtering on the side of the road, i pulled the rear cyl wire, no difference in performance. I guess that would come in handy to let you know that. Now, if i do that, she wont start
Fuel - change it
Battery - good, checked today
wiggle test - fuel injectors
CPK/CPS sensor - change it out??
Cuss like a Cable Guy and tow her to the shop.

War paint, bandana and sleevless T on.......I'm going in.

Thanks again

Did I mention I see flame/backfire in the throttle body

I'm placing my bet on the Crank Position Sensor.
Of course my money isn't worth as much as yours :D
Did you check for codes? If you did and none, and now she's running worse- check again.

My second bet would be wiring on that rear injector.

Dont overlook that rear spark plug. I've seen them when they look perfect but no workee. Ask PA58. Had to change one of his on the side of the road one day. Same thing, all of a sudden it went to one cylinder.

Yep, I'm slow. Here is where I am.

Fuel, drained and new in. No joy there
New plugs and wires - no change
Cleaned out and watched the IAC working (open close)
No leaks
No change on the wiggle test
Battery tested good

I opened up the fuel system. All of that is relatively new. I didn't break it down though.

So.I can get her towed for 50 and diagnose for 100. Or, I can go the Stray Dog way and try a 50 buck CPS. I've read a million symptoms on that thing,but I'm fearing I'm throwing darts..........from 500ft. Looks like an easy install???

One note, even historical codes won't show.

Looks like she'll stay with me until I get her running right.

Back