free website stats program Laid er down gently. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Laid er down gently.

Well...if you're gonna lay the bike over - gentle's the way to go. Glad you & the bike are OK. Time to put it in the past & keep on truck'n.

Three years with the Ultra.. laid it down gently 3 times. Twice, it was not even running..just me moving it around. My pride and ego got badly bruised each time. Started to think that I'm the ONLY one that has this happen. Knowing I'm not alone, helps the damaged pride. Each time, it took the rest of the day to gain back confidence. I'm little, the bike is big and with the slightest mistake, the bike wins. Very little damage to the bike all three times..a little scrape on the engine guard and, a little mark on the lowers as my high peg moved enough to hit the lower. Hurts the ego but, it does keep me quite humble.

Welcome to the club...misery loves company...you will have to get real creative to do something that no other rider has not done...Try and figure out what was the cause and what you could have done to prevent it if anything... and practice,practice your slow speed maneuvers...most riders really lack in slow speed skills,just go to any rally or bike function and observe!

There is no easy solution to this exercise in frustration...naturally prevention is the cure...that said practice does make the circumstances more likely to recover from those "near misses"...for a consolation prize of sorts, knowing how to pick up your bike is a "skill" we prefer to not do, but there is a technique even to this...from the Self Help tips...General

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-892.html

Laid mine down while moving her around in a ski resort parking lot yesterday. The ground was slanted all different ways, like a fun-house. Had momma pull me back out of a sloping down parking slot, so I could back her back in, and turned when she got behind the neighboring car, so I could pull up and back back in, and the lot changed from sloping down to sloping back, and she got away from me. I had to lay her down to keep from having her back into another car. I could not get to my brake (either one).

What a total embarrassment. A scuff on each right side guard was all she got out of it. I have no idea why I was not covering my front brake. Duh.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Haven't done it on my ultra [knock on wood] but my dyna it happened. Turning around in a sloped drive with gravel. No damage except my ego:(

Back