free website stats program Lack of Power | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lack of Power

Rear wheel spins great with slack as spec. Brakes both front and rear no binding...usual resistance.

Ive just gone through the whole wiring loom to check all connections, all good so its now down to components. Switch around coil tomorrow and see if problem shifts to rear then who knows.

Thanks for all your comments!!!

I have had these type of head scratchers ;;;GOOD LUCK;;;your determination will find the problem...

Willie; How does it coast? When you pull the clutch in, does it coast ok, or slow down rather quickly. I was thinking belt repl. = overtorqued axle or spacers put in wrong causing bearings to be in a bind. That would be more noticable in higher gears. Does your rear disc get hot, brake dragging?

I have her up on the lift at the moment. Can spin the back wheel by just pushing with the toe of my boot so definitely not bearing problem or spacers.

Took out the Crank sensor...looks ok. Tested the circuit ...no breaks.

I had a Thundermax with Autotune installed with same problem but took it out and put back HD ECM + TVIII so that Dealer could perform his diagnostics. Both arrangments produce the same performance...lack of power as rpm increases so it's either the coils, a sensor or circuit error or mechanical(timing..cams/valves???)

Both systems under diagnosis indicate all sensors and readings within limits.

Should I just go buy a Honda????????LOL

Willie66

Remember the problem you mentioned about the crank end damaged when cam gear broke???

Others........ Read back if you must.

Have you checked to see IF the whole Master cam gear on the crank didn't strip turn and the Whole caming is totally off..... This would be a loss of power on upper RPMs

If it was bad and He filed it., Not seeing How Bad it was nor How Much He had Filed Or Ground to get the new gear to go on...

This might be the whole problem "Cam timing way off"..... Think about this for a bit and IT only means to take off the cam cover and the bolt n washer holding the gear on the crank and you'll see if the gear and Flat is aligned ok.... If it turned a little, both cams would be off and hard to tell unless you see it at the crank. Don't forget to re torque the bolt and use Blue

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks RibEye,

The HD Tech said the coils were fine but I'm wondering if he tested them under load at high RPM. could they be malfunctioning at high load???

By the way....the fuel pressure is showing 3psi above required, so is fine according to same HD Tech.

Yes! A coil that is fine at idle and midrange can be weak at high rpm. Think about it, the higher the revs the less time there is for the coil to saturate chargewise. The problem could be within the coil (windings) or with the low tension lead.

OK, what do I win????:D

Bubbie, Took off the cam cover and everything appears normal (see attachment) 1st time to attach so here goes

DSCF1662.jpg

I did like the way you said it only means taking off the cam cover, & crank bolt......plus the exhaust LOL.

It's time to move on to the coils but I was also convinced it was the cams so at least I can dismiss that now. Thanks Bubbie for filling my morning.

Willie

Back