free website stats program Known issues question - 06 Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

Known issues question - 06 Road King

RKCnut

Looking for a pre-loved RKC and am wanting to know of any known issues prior to putting out the money for it. What do you know about the 04 - 06 model years? This will be my first Harley and want it to be a good experience :D

Thanks
Dale

Good decision to find out TC88 problems in advance. The big issue will be the cam chain tensioners. The 03 still had the lefty bearing on the crankshaft and Delphi fuel injection came on the scene in 02 both are desirable. My choice would be a 2003 bike.
Ken

Looking for a pre-loved RKC and am wanting to know of any known issues prior to putting out the money for it. What do you know about the 04 - 06 model years? This will be my first Harley and want it to be a good experience :D

Thanks
Dale

i have a 05 RKP and love it. very low mileage 16,000 only. i have owned it about a year all i have done is put some chrome and a stage 1. Gen 3 in the box just need the time to do it.

look around there is some very good deals out there from people who have looked after them

Good luck in your search

Ditto on the cam chain tensioners. When I did the hydraulic tensioner conversion, I also replaced the inner cam bearings with Torrington's.

I think you'll like these models.

Good decision to find out TC88 problems in advance. The big issue will be the cam chain tensioners. The 03 still had the lefty bearing on the crankshaft and Delphi fuel injection came on the scene in 02 both are desirable. My choice would be a 2003 bike.
Ken

FYI - 2002 was the last year that the Timken bearing was used. But, if your not beefing the engine or beating the snot out of it, it shouldn't matter.

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated. Now, I have to admit that I have a learning curve here with some of the abbreviations like "TC" 88? I have the "88" or "96" but help me out with "TC"! If I had to guess, it is likely the designation or production name for these motors? May be completely off target however. :) The brand names are something I'm certain I will learn.

Keep the replies coming...

HA, just figured it out! TWIN CAM!!! :D
(Posted before I saw the previous reply from TheTank!) Thanks...

The biggest issue I had was Honey-Do's and yard work started getting neglected. Early quick Saturday morning rides turn into seven hour tours!
Enjoy the Road King, but you won't want to get off.

Back