free website stats program Knowing everything about everything | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Knowing everything about everything

Maybe you can find an independent shop that will let you work as an apprentice and will be willing to teach you.
That's how i learned my trade. Worked well for me. One thing i figured out early was when a job came up that i never did before, I wouldn't ask DO you want me to do this job, I would always ask Show me HOW to do it.

"How stuff works.com" is a pretty good place to learn the basics of a lot of things, and they have some good animations. When you do an online search use words like "basic" or "specific" to narrow your results. I'm 3+ times your age, and still learning every day.

Hey thanks. I've been looking at this site for a little while now and they got a great way of explaining things. In regards to still learning every day, that's the beauty of living aint it? Learn something new every day. :)

Humm. Do I see a future Harley mech?

Not necessarily...gear head maybe? ;)

Your still young enough to read much, check out Amazon books. Buy a Harley Manual and look over it as well. A gas engine is really kinda simple in theory. You got pistons sliding up and down inside cylinders. The pistons are hooked to a rod which is hooked to a crankshaft which transfers the power to whatever. The heads are bolted on top of the cylinders to cap the whole affair off. You have a chain or gear driven cam with lobes on it that open the valves to each cylinder at a specific time let in fuel mix and let out exhaust gases. And you have the intake mechanism of Air/Fuel injection and the Electrical ignition that sparks the mix and drives the piston home.

Of course you may find some of those seemingly elusive labels are really just simple explanations. For instance Hemi is short for the Hemispherical shaped combustion chamber on an engine head. Not sure but believe Chrysler Corp first mass produced it back in the late 1960's in their Dodge Charger automobile. And twin cams, well that means a couple of cams installed side by side. In Harley's case one cam for each jug. (A jug is a cylinder or bank of an Engine). Of course there are other jugs like a jug of wine which won't break the bank (of another kind) as bad.

Good luck with your quest.

Thank you for your response. Learned a little history in there too, always a plus. In regards to the manual, will any manual do? Do you have a specific model you'd like to suggest if you happen to be biased towards a certain model?

Maybe you can find an independent shop that will let you work as an apprentice and will be willing to teach you.
That's how i learned my trade. Worked well for me. One thing i figured out early was when a job came up that i never did before, I wouldn't ask DO you want me to do this job, I would always ask Show me HOW to do it.

I have that same attitude, I have that drive to want to just get in there and ask questions. It can be a problem sometimes (jumping in at times I shouldn't), but the way I look at it, you get that one specific question out of the way and you won't have to worry about it being asked again haha.

Amazon.com: Big Twin High Performance Guide, Vol. 1 (9780964011526): D. William Denish: Books If you can find a copy of this @ your library, it is a Very good read:s

Hey thanks, I'll be sure to grab a copy if my local library's got one. Volume 1, how many volumes are if you know? Are the next volumes more in depth?

Thanks everyone for the replies. You guys are great.

Hey thanks. I've been looking at this site for a little while now and they got a great way of explaining things. In regards to still learning every day, that's the beauty of living aint it? Learn something new every day. :)

Not necessarily...gear head maybe? ;)

Thank you for your response. Learned a little history in there too, always a plus. In regards to the manual, will any manual do? Do you have a specific model you'd like to suggest if you happen to be biased towards a certain model?

I have that same attitude, I have that drive to want to just get in there and ask questions. It can be a problem sometimes (jumping in at times I shouldn't), but the way I look at it, you get that one specific question out of the way and you won't have to worry about it being asked again haha.

Hey thanks, I'll be sure to grab a copy if my local library's got one. Volume 1, how many volumes are if you know? Are the next volumes more in depth?

Thanks everyone for the replies. You guys are great.

Amazon.com: V-Twin Tuners Handbook (Performance pro series) (9780964011533): D. William Denish: Books This deals with Evos, but theory would pertain to Twin Cams also:s

Back