free website stats program Know I made the right call... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Know I made the right call...

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with selecting a modern motorcycle these days built within the last 10-15 years...especially a Harley with technology being that good these days. Not that older stuff wasn't good...just that lessons learned goes a long way with HD having the longest running design going. :)

Still, you have to hand it to H-D...it is getting harder to keep turning out new stuff with the buy in new pricing getting into the $35-40k price range for full bagger, which was rather unthinkable for a motorcycle just a short time ago.:s

I just finished cleaning up my H-D and did some minor tuning. I'm just happy I was able to join in on the HDT party in 2008...with the H-D affordable introduction to my stable, which even today is still an incredible value for $10k new...when compared with all the other manufacturers competing for that shrinking "free time outdoors" and "disposible income dollar.":D

I feel the same way about my bike(s) and wife. A scratch or ding here and there that I usually caused, just makes them prettier to me. Many miles and many smiles. :bigsmiley12:

I am on my second Harley, first was a road king which had over 50k on it and now a 2010 flhtk which just went over 15k (had to store it for 3 months last winter). Getting ready for a 4,500 mile trip in August (including Sturgis). I've owned a Honda and a Kawi and I can tell you I can't be happier than I am now with my Hog. Just yesterday I was out with my buddy looking at helmets so we ventured into several "other dealerships", sat on several BMW's, and a Honda...nope not for me. They just can not compare to a Harley. Sure they tour nicely, and have some nice features...but it they are not a Harley. Just something about sitting on a Harley that takes you somewhere else....and I can't tel you how many times someone pulls up next to me and say's...Nice Bike!"

I have a permanant smile on my face.

I've been riding for 37 years...all on metric bikes until the fall of 2008 when I bought my 2009 Ultra. Those other bikes were nice machines but none of them had "soul" like my Harley. I guess you have to ride one to know what I mean because my riding buddies who don't ride Harleys don't understand...but I know you guys do.

GREAT thread, Wife and I feel the same way, we too bought a new 08 Ultra, it was one of those should we or should we not, after all it is quite a bit of money,,,, but I can honestly say its has been the best therapy for both of us,, we havent been able to take any long trips, but just getting out and enjoying each other, the fresh air, and the bike is a true pleasure,, there is nothing like a Harley. Something about hitting that start button and bringing it to life still makes me smile.. So many people have let fear get in the way of the total enjoyment they could be having. Tim

When we decided to get back to riding again we looked at all the major makes and models. We knew we were going to put a lot of miles on now that we have the time and funds. The four we narrowed our touring bike search down to was Honda , BMW, Victory and Harley. As was stated they all produce nice reliable bikes, and all in roughly the same price range. We rode them all, and since we were obviously serious buyers we got their best pitch. We rode the Harley's last, which made for the best comparisons.
The 2012 Ultra Limited was the best all around motorcycle of the bunch. The others did certain things very well, but the total package will always go to the big Harley's.
Add to this the sound, feel and soul of a Harley and it was a no brainer.

Some of the other brands say "It looks or sounds just like a Harley". Some brands go out of their way to say their bike is nothing like a Harley. But in the end there is just one original. I love my Harley.

Traded-in my 07 Ultra for a 2012 FLTK on a whim. Kinda wish I didn't, I really liked that bike! Enjoy it for as long as you can!
i done the same thing sold my 09 flhtc and bought a 2012 flhx what a mistake that was wish i had my 09 back. this new bike is terrible compared to the 09

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread. I have to agree on two levels. First, love the new Road Glide Ultra. the wife and I are beyond satisfied with the new ride. We love it. Yeah, we miss our softail deluxe but we're not looking back. Second, i agree that Harley in general just has the "it" factor. In my mind the set the bar. They have an unbeatable heritage and beyond loyal following. Something about riding my Harley just makes me think that we are caring on a truly amazing legacy and it is great to be part of that. There isn't another brand that comes close, Indians attempts to make a come back are disingenuous at best so far. Triumph makes a solid machine that has stayed true to who they are but isn't that great American success story and lacks the passion. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, all make imitations and BMW is just a machine to me. Do I have a biased view? Darn, right I do but am I wrong?

I have a friend that wanted to buy him a Harley a few years back in his search he came up on a Indian, One of the newer ones. and was asking my opinion, I told him " Mike you can buy the Indian" But no matter what you do to it, it'll never be a Harley, He sure loves his 2000 Dyna Glide. HARLEY DAVIDSON IS A AMERICAN ICON.

i done the same thing sold my 09 flhtc and bought a 2012 flhx what a mistake that was wish i had my 09 back. this new bike is terrible compared to the 09
My 2012 Ultra limited is back in the shop again. 800 miles on it and they still can't fix the backfiring and surge. They're consulting with HD for next try-me part(s) to replace. They made one mistake, though and apparently so did I. THEY GAVE ME BACK MY 07 ULTRA FOR A LOANER! Why did I ever trade it in? Runs better, sounds better, shifts better (thanks to Spectro!) clutch feels better, runs cooler (no tuner-just pipes), engine quieter, even stereo (stock) sounds better. It may not look as good or handle as well (needs back tire) but I still love it. I literally hugged it when they brought it out for me to take home! My wife said " we're going to end up with two bikes,aren't we?" Maybe, or just one, an old friend.

Back