free website stats program Knocking Sound on Engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Knocking Sound on Engine

gravity550

So I just went to Harley and got a gasket replacement kit. I replace the head gaskets and rocker top gaskets on my 883 Screaming Eagle 98 sporty. Once I got everything back together, I turned the ignition on and she craked up. But I did notice a knocking sound. Is this due to the fact that there may not be enough oil collected back inside the heads yet? Will this go away. I havent been able to let the bike run for an extended amount of time yet because I have a busted exhaust header bolt and need to get that fixed first. But in the 20 to 30 seconds that i did let her purr she knocked. Thanks for any information you can supply.

So I just went to Harley and got a gasket replacement kit. I replace the head gaskets and rocker top gaskets on my 883 Screaming Eagle 98 sporty. Once I got everything back together, I turned the ignition on and she craked up. But I did notice a knocking sound. Is this due to the fact that there may not be enough oil collected back inside the heads yet? Will this go away. I havent been able to let the bike run for an extended amount of time yet because I have a busted exhaust header bolt and need to get that fixed first. But in the 20 to 30 seconds that i did let her purr she knocked. Thanks for any information you can supply.

Pull the oil filter off and see if it is full

Thank you. I had checked the oil level and it seemed to be full and had loosened the oil filter and oil started pouring from it so I assumed that it was full. But did not remove all the way. Will do that this evening. Thanks.

Check your oil pressure. If you don't have a gauge, then remove the sending unit and cover the opening with your finger tightly and crank the engine to see if there is pressure noticed there.

So I just went to Harley and got a gasket replacement kit. I replace the head gaskets and rocker top gaskets on my 883 Screaming Eagle 98 sporty.

I am curious as to why you changed the head gaskets. Prior to changing that gasket set, how exactly did the bike run.
Head gaskets are usually changed for a reason.

I am curious as to why you changed the head gaskets. Prior to changing that gasket set, how exactly did the bike run.
Head gaskets are usually changed for a reason.

Sportsters were notorious for rocker box leaks , and rear head gasket leaks. The ones I fixed I used metalbase gaskets and metal head gaskets with spray copper coat and never had a leak:s

Sportsters were notorious for rocker box leaks , and rear head gasket leaks. The ones I fixed I used metalbase gaskets and metal head gaskets with spray copper coat and never had a leak:s

Jack, are the pushrods non-adjustable with hydraulic lifters?

Well the front head gasket blew out so I went ahead and changed all of them. And once I got in there, they looked as if they all needed a change. So i went and bought the whole set. The head gaskets were metal that I put back on and I dont have any air/oil leaks that I can tell/see/hear so I think it was a successful change. But its just that little bit of knocking that I hear. Thank you.

Well the front head gasket blew out so I went ahead and changed all of them. And once I got in there, they looked as if they all needed a change. So i went and bought the whole set. The head gaskets were metal that I put back on and I dont have any air/oil leaks that I can tell/see/hear so I think it was a successful change. But its just that little bit of knocking that I hear. Thank you.

I would NOT remove the oil filter,,, just do as Glider suggested and check for pressure(remove and ground plugs or wires while kicking over) IF you Had Pressure before You should have pressure Now...

signed....BUBBIE

Back