free website stats program Knocking Noise in engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Knocking Noise in engine

gunmetal

A while back I posted about a knocking noise in my engine after it got hot on my 03 Fatboy. I thought tightening the compensator nut fixed it, but after a long ride and getting it good and hot the knocking noise returned. The noise was heard at idle and I could feel it in my feet while riding down the road. I had other friends ride it and they couldn't feel it but they could hear it.... kind of sounded like a main bearing knock. I finally found it to be a bad clutch hub bearing. While grabbing the clutch basket at 12o'clock and 6 o'clock I could move it back and forth. After the bearing replacement I haven't had any more problems.

Nice work on finding your issue and getting straightened out! Hope it continues to work for you.

Bodeen

Glad to hear you sorted it out! Also, I am glad you posted the issue once you found it, it helps the rest of us if we ever encounter something similar.

Bill

Welcome, & Thanks for getting back to let us know what you found, that's how we all can learn... Hope you have many more trouble free miles. :D

Thank you Gunmetal for your followup post and welcome to the HDTimeline forum. Hope we can return the favor by offering Self Help Tips and the Search tabs just looking and typing up keywords to find threads of interest. Also we would be very happy that you take pictures of you newly roadworthy ride for all to enjoy.

Back