Kn air filter question?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by bigdawg30125, Aug 17, 2010.

1. bigdawg30125

bigdawg30125 Member

Hey guys quick question here, does the new kn filter rk 3930 kit look like it would be comparable to a stage 1 kit? It does have a new backplate and venturi on it. The filter resembles a stock filter but I know it is better. I would rather have a kn and i know I can individually piece the part together. So check it out on there website let me know what you think. thanx fellas.

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

There was a post awhile back on the flow rates of the various MOCO and aftermarket A/C elements and housings. Majority of elements are the highly regarded K&N elements (typically purple or pink from the light dusting of oil on them to help trap dirt). The key here is the A/C on an HD does not have a really well tuned air box...so just opening up the filter housing with judicious cutting/grinding while changing to K&N element is the most cost effective...'bout $55-$65 and slow and steady work with your cutting tools.

The SE Air Cleaner comes with the reusable HD A/C element which is "okay", but further down the road, you would benefit with replacement K&N A/C element, which flows and filters better with more rigid design. Might also consider cutting away a bit of the cover for even more perimeter airflow :D

[​IMG]

Off the shelf aftermarket ones start at $160 up to $500 depending on how fancy, not necessarily how much they flow. That is why TFI by Teclusion to richen fuel being around $175-$200 is a great buy and allows you to update to partial or full stage I at any time. And with the HDTalking discount and great technical support...it is a must...JMHO!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. bigdawg30125

bigdawg30125 Member

thanx for reply newfan, I have the tfi on already I bought one from a member here and removed the cat. The bike is running much cooler and better, now I want to do a/c upgrade. I was looking on k&n's site and saw this kit just wanted too know if anybody had one or what they thought about it. I will be putting pipes on too just can't decide which ones. Right now i'm leaning torwards dyno tuned jackpots.

4. Grillfish

Grillfish Junior Member

If you are talking about this one below, then I think it is a higher flow AC.

RK-3930 - K&N Custom Assemblies, Filter kit - Harley Davidson

Part RK-3930 Product Specifications
    Product Style: Custom Assemblies
    Estimated Horsepower Gain: 8.43 HP @ 3700 RPM
    Street Legal In All States: No
    TUV Approved (Europe): No
    Replacement Filter: E-3972

5. bigdawg30125

bigdawg30125 Member

yes grillfish that's the one i was talking about. it looks good but i wonder will it flow as much as the se kit. i believe i'm going to get it and try her out.

6. Grillfish

Grillfish Junior Member

Shop around as I've seen the price as low as $140 and as high as $240. If you install it, take some pics and let us know how it turns out.

Ride safe and have fun!

7. ironmule

ironmule Member

I was told k&n rk-3909= stage 1
    rk-3930=stage2

8. tdufren

tdufren Member

RK-3909 is for 99 to 07 engines and RK-3930 is for 08 and up. Filter size for both are 1and 5/8th inches. I have the 3909 on mine. both are hi air flow.

9. bigdawg30125

bigdawg30125 Member

Well guys I installed the 3930 today piece of cake. I didn't get any pics cause I did the install right where I got it. The kit works well, I thought the backplate would be black cause that's how they show it on there website, but it's aluminum colored but oh well. It made a big difference in throttle response and am quite happy with it. The intake noise is alot louder like they said it was the tuned intake must make the difference. I need to readjust my tfi alittle bit cause there were a couple of decel pops. I have my pipes off my 04 flhti on now with the centers knocked out and it sounds pretty good, you get to 4 grand and you can really hear them and the intake growl. I like it so far, we'll see how it goes later down the road. I think I'm going to put the SE Fatshots on next. Have a good day and ride safe.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  10. wv2wheel

wv2wheel Active Member

I also added the 3930 recently and like it. The bike seems easier breathing. No big changes but just a little better. The backplate that came with my 3930 was black...I just have the stock exhaust, the Harley stage 1 map and the 3930. runs great, no issues.

Phil