free website stats program Kinda Proud I Did It | Harley Davidson Forums

Kinda Proud I Did It

Zamadan

Just finished putting on my V&H Ovals, TFI and Oil Cooler, After watching the TFI vid in tech tips it was a pretty easy install. The oil cooler was a little trickier cause I had to remove the stator and make sure the hoses and sensor lead did not obstruct future oil changes. Doesn't look real pretty but at this time I'm more focussed on preventive maintenance and performance than the looks.

Attachments

• HDT 1.jpg
    HDT 1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 82
  • HDT 3.jpg
    HDT 3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 85
  • HDT 4.jpg
    HDT 4.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 71
  • HDT 5.jpg
    HDT 5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 64
  • HDT 6.jpg
    HDT 6.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 81
The pipes were pretty easy as with the cleaner.

The biggest fear I had was removing the faring to install the guages. Bezels came out with a little touch up for burrs and rerouting the lines and wires took some patienance but turned out great. Running at 38 to 40 psi but to cool to see if the temp is working well. stays at 110. Setting up the TFI I read twice fiddled with once and had a bud who is a tech help me with that. Farts and pops a bit on the decel from 3000 to 2000 but was told the TFI is learning. Went for a 50 mile ride and seemed to work great no leaks and a little louder. Can hear my pipes instead of the rattle in fifth. No worries to head south and encounter that 100+ summer temps.

Attachments

• HDT 2.jpg
    HDT 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 39
  • HDT 7.jpg
    HDT 7.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 40
  • HDT 8.jpg
    HDT 8.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 43
The popping on decel is nothing to be concerned about. Any low restriction system will give you some pops on decel. Just make sure the pipes have a good seal at the head and the joints.

The TFI is not a learning unit, It does what you tell it to do, it is somewhat load based and can adjust to some conditions.

Would love to see a company find a way to incorporate a small fan on the front of that oil cooler. Would be even more cool if the company that could do this would add a temp sensor to the fan so that it would activate during city riding or high temp conditions. meh....just a thought.

Would love to see a company find a way to incorporate a small fan on the front of that oil cooler. Would be even more cool if the company that could do this would add a temp sensor to the fan so that it would activate during city riding or high temp conditions. meh....just a thought.

HHMMM
Computer fan could work i would think. They are 12v

Sure would but they don't last too long being they are exposed to the elements.:D
Well....computer fans are a good idea, but I agree that a little more rugid design fan would be needed.
However, The design and "flow" of the looks would be a factor. Would definatley need some chrome on it somewhere.
I would love to have an oil cooler on my Ultra, but its almost like a catch 22. Its a great thing to have but only works well when moving. Radiators only work well with alot of air moving through them. Still on the fence line with this one.

Smitty put on a fan by his horn, he's gonna post the benefits when he hits some hot weather. With the oil cooler and better air intake and exhaust I shouldn't have to worry about the high heat concerns everyone is talking about on the 96's. Better safe than sorry.

Well....computer fans are a good idea, but I agree that a little more rugid design fan would be needed.
However, The design and "flow" of the looks would be a factor. Would definatley need some chrome on it somewhere.
I would love to have an oil cooler on my Ultra, but its almost like a catch 22. Its a great thing to have but only works well when moving. Radiators only work well with alot of air moving through them. Still on the fence line with this one.

They do work when NOT moving, just not as well. Look at the theory of a radiator in your house with convection and compare it to the cooler when standing still. There's also the additional oil in the system when using a cooler to think of too that will take a bit longer to heat up..

Back