free website stats program Kinda dumb ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Kinda dumb ?

D Gill

In my intro I noted that this 97 Ultra Glide is the newest motor I've owned since my 50 Pan, so my ?'s are: Do I check my oil leaning on the stand or with the bike standing straight up?
Also, does the tranny oil fill to just before it starts getting to the fill hole.

Like I said, kinda dumb question but I haven't picked up a manual yet and it's just something I need to know.

Thanks.

In my intro I noted that this 97 Ultra Glide is the newest motor I've owned since my 50 Pan, so my ?'s are: Do I check my oil leaning on the stand or with the bike standing straight up?
Also, does the tranny oil fill to just before it starts getting to the fill hole.

Like I said, kinda dumb question but I haven't picked up a manual yet and it's just something I need to know.

Thanks.

These questions should be addresses in the owners manual which are available at the dealer as well as the factory repair manual.

Your EVO should probably be checked on the stand. You can get an idea by checking the oil on the dipstick on the stand to see if it is at or near the full mark and then straight up till you get the manual. The incorrect way will have the oil level way over the mark on the dipstick while the correct way will usually be between the add and full marks. This is only a check and the proper way would be to verify the method of checking.

The trans has a dipstick on the underside of the cover and usually takes about a quart of GEAR OIL (not engine oil)

On my '94 EVO FLSTC manual says 24oz trans fluid, and the engine oil is checked on the stand.

Trans oil should be checked with the bike upright as with the level in the primary engine oil on the side stand

Brian

It would have been dumb if you didn't ask or find out which way the bike should be when checking the levels. :D

My 89 FLHTCU, you check the motor oil on the stand. The trans has a dip stick on the bottom side of the cover, if no dip stick it may be floating around inside the tranny as the dipstick is very close to the clutch cable, if you put the dipstick on the wrong side of the clutch cable, the cable will cut/saw the dipstick off.:s

Back