free website stats program Killing the engine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Killing the engine

I personally prefer to use the ignition switch to switch off
the bikes i learnt on didn't have kill switches so perhaps it is a held over from them
wife always uses the kill switch on the handlebar she has only been riding for 5 years now so was taught to use the kill switch but then she often forgets to switch off the ignition switch (evident by the lights still on)
Push starting an evo Dyna ain't no fun Just cos the ignition was left on and the battery was drained

Brian

I think we can use both.
But in fact the ignition switch it's disigned for 10 000 use, and the kill swicht for 2000 (it's only an example, I don't know the true number of use for both of them)
The motorcycle use for the "school driver" in France have many trouble with that, because many young drivers use only the kill switch....

I was taught in the safety driving course to use the kill switch on the handle bar first, then the ignition switch to properly shut down the motorcycle. This safety course is now manditory in Florida to get your motorcycle drivers license. I took an advanced course to brush up my skills never to old to learn some new tricks.

I personally prefer to use the ignition switch to switch off
the bikes i learnt on didn't have kill switches so perhaps it is a held over from them
wife always uses the kill switch on the handlebar she has only been riding for 5 years now so was taught to use the kill switch but then she often forgets to switch off the ignition switch (evident by the lights still on)
Push starting an evo Dyna ain't no fun Just cos the ignition was left on and the battery was drained

Brian
I do the kill switch first too. I have also been guilty of forgetting to turn off the ignition and had a dead battery.:(

I have, in the past, always shut down with the kill switch 1st. After push starting the Heritage this weekend because of a dead battery I will be shuting down with the ignition switch 1st from now on. :small3d007:

When I got the new bike I was told what Hobbit said earlier about using the kill switch allowed the ECM to store the codes. I was also told to turn the ignition switch on, wait for a second then flick on the kill switch. Was told this would allow the ECM to fire up and would prevent it from getting a power surge with the fuel pump starting up at the same time. No idea if it is true or not but I have got into the habit of using the kill switch.

Use the kill switch as you are Grumpy3, your EFI/ECM equipped bike will appreciate it. As for forgetting to shut off the ignition switch...maybe there should be a little *ping* alarm, as well as a sequence relay that keeps off the headlight until the engine is running, and shuts off the headlights if the ignition key is taken out after a couple minutes...uhh...like the majority of cagers out there. But I guess that would be going over to the "Dark Side of the Force...!"

Was taught to use the kill switch only in emergencies. The rationale behind that was saving wear and tear on the switch. So it works when you need it. You're going to use the ignition every time anyway, so why wear down the kill switch un-necesarily?
That said, I used to use the kill switch first because of the reach to the neck on my Dyna for the key. Now that I have the tank panel mounted ignition switch, I never touch the kill switch.
And as far as DTC codes. Mine holds 'em fine using the ignition switch only. Another note, there is a lean detector on newer HD's that kills the engine in a spill. If your bike won't start after a tip over, cycle the ignition switch once or twice.

The kill switch is to kill the engine if your throttle sticks or you have a major drivetrain malfunction.

IMHO.

Was taught to use the kill switch only in emergencies. The rationale behind that was saving wear and tear on the switch. So it works when you need it. You're going to use the ignition every time anyway, so why wear down the kill switch un-necesarily?
That said, I used to use the kill switch first because of the reach to the neck on my Dyna for the key. Now that I have the tank panel mounted ignition switch, I never touch the kill switch.
And as far as DTC codes. Mine holds 'em fine using the ignition switch only. Another note, there is a lean detector on newer HD's that kills the engine in a spill. If your bike won't start after a tip over, cycle the ignition switch once or twice.

The kill switch is to kill the engine if your throttle sticks or you have a major drivetrain malfunction.

IMHO.

I agree. You are absolutely correct.

Back