free website stats program Kidney Belt | Harley Davidson Forums

Kidney Belt

Randall K. Wilson

As a lad growing up I had a facination with Kidney Belts. I had noticed that there were still some old timers that wore theirs. Hence about 12 years ago I made me a custom Kidney Belt. I wanted it to blend with my nostalgic riding motiff so I elected to heavily embellish it with what I refer to as "1950's Gawdiness".

From this image you can see a portion of the belt and obviously it is in need of some polish to the chrome do-dads.

Years ago I had someone nag me to put my machine in a show. I laid my kidney belt across the cycles seat. From a distance I noticed a lady attending the show strolling by my cycle. The Kidney Belt laying across the seat really caught her attention. Upon doing so she belted out to the folks with her..."hey guys, looky, Elvis is here!":rofl Several peered around looking for the King, but he was not to be seen. By this time I think the King had been dead 21 or 22 years.:s

kidney-belt.jpg

Are these kidney belts functional? Some jackets have them built in. How do you know if you "need" one?

Anyway, that's one cool tool'd piece of leather!

Are these kidney belts functional? Some jackets have them built in. How do you know if you "need" one?

Anyway, that's one cool tool'd piece of leather!

Yes they are very functional.His is quite unique,RichardS would appreciate it.

Much like a fighter pilot wears a G suite a rigid mounted biker would wear a kidney belt.Even with the newer rubber mounted bikes they can still benefit a rider.

Last thing you need is traveling in a group and needing a pit stop every 50 miles.

Cool belt! I've used them for years racing motocross bikes and atv's. Never leave the line w/out them. I don't need one on my Ultra but if I rode a hardtail I think I'd probably wrap up. They do a good job of keeping the innards lined up.....

This thread reminded me that I have my fathers studded kidney belt somewhere from when he used to ride in the 40s and 50s,I will try to find it in the myriad of boxes of memorabilia and post a pic.

Great looking forward to it. I remember some were imitation alligator and had three small buckles in the front.
WAP.gif

I use one of those back supports from Lowes or Home Depot on long multi-day rides. Just a 100 miles or so and I don't use anything. Some of those in this post look like works of art in addition to being functional

Dug this out of my HD library. It is a page out of a 1941 HD Accessory Catalog. Here is the page on Kidney belts at the time. The deluxe model was $4.75 Due to inflation, today the same Kidney Belt would cost $68.78 according to my inflation calculator.
Kidney-belt-forum.jpg

Back