free website stats program Kickstand adjustment?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Kickstand adjustment??

A coupla thoughts........
When ya put the stand down, hold it in the forward position until you tilt the bike over onto it, by doing that you'll make sure the lock is engauged.

Inspect and lube the kickstand, if ya ever had the tension spring break while your riding down the road you'd know what I mean, the stand will fall into the down position, if ya happen to be going around a left hand corner, the lean of the bike will cause the lock to engauge and ya can't get the thing back up. It's like "Uhoh! what do I do now?".

Change the spring if needed. You'll know your sprig is getting bad cuz the stand won't pop up like normal, itll groan or won't return to the close position without help.

Otherwise like Smitty sez, "It'll never fail."

I always lube the point where the spring contacts the bracket to prevent it from wearing in two. Once the chrome starts to wear off, it will start to rust there and eventually the spring will break. Just a thought.

When I first got my 09 SG I thought the same thing. I still after having it almost a year am not all that used to it.

Just to let you know, HD has a tech bulletin on the mounting bracket for the jiffy stands on the 09 Ultra Classics. With the bigger tires, there is a little too much of a lean angle with the original bracket. I almost got a hernia every time I parked it. It's only about half an inch to an inch difference, but, it is substantial when you are dealing with almost 900 lbs. The new bracket number is 50096-09. Call HD customer service at 414) 343-4056, discuss the issue and get a case number. With the case # you should be able to get your local dealer to swap out the bracket.
Good luck, and ride safe.
Blue Highway

Is there any adjustment on the kickstand for a Road King??? My bike seems to roll forward some after the stand is put down, even on level ground!!

If you want your kickstand to go further forward when you deploy it, you can have a machinist make you a new quadrant leg stop (the "keyhole" shaped stop) and have him rotate the square hole a few degrees(I can't remember which direction). This will allow your kickstand to go further forward when you put it down and will stop the "roll forward" movement.

The only problem I can see with doing this is...If you leave the stock kickstand down and ride off, when you lean left it will fold up. If you alter it to go further forward and ride off with it down, when you lean left, instead of folding up, it could act as a pivot point and unweight the back wheel.

Picture of quadrant leg stop

When on the side stand my engine is off and my bike is in gear. Even at that I'm in the habit of rolling the bike forward as far as the gears will let it go before leaning it over on the stand. As I dismount I look into the top of the bracket to ensure it looks locked up. I just don't park anywhere where the bike is angled nose down an incline so it doesn't have any chance of rolling forward. I'll park either dead level or if there's an incline it's so the bike will tend to roll back, not forward.

Now if someone feels the need to park the bike on it's side stand with the engine running, in neutral, well, I don't know. That would bother me. I've seen others do it and I get a chill every time I see it. I can't think of any reason that I won't have my engine off and transmission in gear before putting it on it's side stand.

Ok, at least now I know I'm not the only one with this concern, my 09 UC routinely rolls forward when jiffy stand put down, have darn near messed myself several times thinking it was going over, starting to get used to it but it still gets me now and then...glad to know that it's normal, perhaps fewer gray hairs in the future.

Comming from the metric ranks (if they move forward they fall over) when I got my first H-D My heart skipped a beat every time a parked it. It's a good system and has never failed me, it still makes me jump once in a while.:D

Back