Kick Stand issues

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Bigfootz, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Bigfootz

Bigfootz New Member

I bought a yr 2000 used 1200 Sportster May. The stand fell off (lost) while cruising the 1st wk. Doh locktite? Was this an issue with the yr/model? Design defect? Recalls? The seat and tail lts frequently vibrate loose too. I'm rookie, any comments, suggestions?

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Thats why all critical fasteners are to be check every service interval.

3. Bigfootz

Bigfootz New Member

Ditto that. The bike is 60K+ too. Has a few issues but I love it. The kick was hangin low when I got it. We tried to tighten, and replaced the kick spring too. All for naught. Start over. Guess I'll weld the bolt this time, cant be havin' that. It's a fork mount design at the bolt and have had trouble finding that style replacement. Guess new one is in order.

4. mvd00024

mvd00024 Member

Happy that you got a new bike, at least it will run. Good luck and have many good rides. Keep the tires on the pavement....lol...:D:D

5. Randy007

Randy007 Member

Big,

After I lowered the bike, the "jiffy stand" was too long. Was going to change it
    out during the winter. Well, it fell off. Maybe stress angle caused it.

Anyhow, got a "Hugger Stand". Put a hardened bolt with locktite in place of the
    cotter pin and a new spring.

The old stand was a bear to re-install prior. The new stand with spring were a breeze
    installing. And it works well with a lowered bike.

Good Luck!

6. RiffRaff

RiffRaff Member

What a great idea! Lose the kickstand and you have an excuse to keep riding forever.

I gotta try that.