free website stats program Kevlar or OEM Clutch? | Harley Davidson Forums

Kevlar or OEM Clutch?

T-Skully

I'm replacing my Clutch on my '96 RK and not sure what material to use. What are the advantages or disadvantages of using one of the more expensive Kevlar Kits or Carbonite kits over the OEM kits? What about "Extra" plate kits that eliminate the spring plate? Any opinions will be appreciated!

I'm replacing my Clutch on my '96 RK and not sure what material to use. What are the advantages or disadvantages of using one of the more expensive Kevlar Kits or Carbonite kits over the OEM kits? What about "Extra" plate kits that eliminate the spring plate? Any opinions will be appreciated!

Question is "why are you replacing your clutch". If you have a fairly stock bike with high mileage, OK. If you have beefed up your ride to a behemoth and have burnt up the clutch, that is another thing. In the former case (older fairly stock bike with lots of miles) go back in with an OEM or an aftermarket stock replacement.

If the latter (hopped up bike used aggressively), an exotic clutch pack may be worth it.

TQ

Thanks all! The spring plate went bad and when I say bad there were no rivets left on it they were all in the basket, thank goodness and not in the primary, whew! Still not sure why it went bad. Sort of think the plates might of stuck together when I did a Toy run around Christmas and it was about 35 degrees outside, but not for certain. I have also had someone tell me it could have been too much primary fluid causing it to slip but still not sure. Anyway the two friction plates that met up against the spring plate, just the sides that made contact with the spring plate were bad, so I thought why I had it apart might as well replace the whole thing. I hope I don't have to do it again for a long time. I have an Andrews EV27 cam in my Evo, replaced the stock ignition module with a Screaming Eagle 8,000 rpm limit, Yost upgrade kit in the Keihin carb and Vance & Hines classic slip-on's. I've read that the spring plate is useless and that's why some companies make the "extra" plate kit that eliminates the spring plate. In your opinion, OEM clutch kit w/spring plate or one of the so called "Extra" plate kits w/o spring plate? Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice!

Back