free website stats program Keeps on starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Keeps on starting

drmmrhaus

OK so I recently put in a new battery in my bike. I made sure all my connections were good and started it up. It fired up fine but the starter keeps trying to start the bike while its running! Not sure how to remedy this. Any help?

Thanks guys,
drmmrhaus

Disconnect the single green wire plug on the starter solenoid and see if it continues cranking when this happens. This will separate the starting circuit on the bike from the solenoid and tell you whether the problem is in the wiring on the bike or the starter solenoid.

Thank you very much. Ill let yall know how it goes!

I tried it and the problem continues. So looks like Im gunna be needing a new one. Thanks for the help Glider!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the solenoid has a short in the contacts it will cause this problem the starter could engage by itself rare but it can happen

You should be able to get by with just a solenoid replacement providing there is nothing hanging up in the drive causing the problem.

I pulled it apart and it turns out the flywheel was stuck in the "out" position keeping the starter going. My bike unfortunately lives outside for the moment and I think it got wet and junk got in it. Anyway, cleaned it up and everything is fine now! Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it sorted. When I took mine apart after approx. 6 years, the grease inside was fair and clean, but "caked" to the outside, very little grease left in the business ends lubricating...so I cleaned it all out manually (no solvent) and cleaned with rag wetted with WD40, dried and used high temperature disc brake grease (red so it was easy to see) and filled all the cavities and with the new starter clutch should work fine.

The solenoid area I wiped clean and did the same, burnished the high current contacts just a bit to get black off and could and wetted with just a bit of contact cleaner on a Q tip. Been working fine for 10 months now...and at least another 10 years (I am an optimist).

OK so I recently put in a new battery in my bike. I made sure all my connections were good and started it up. It fired up fine but the starter keeps trying to start the bike while its running! Not sure how to remedy this. Any help?

I had the same problem about 2 months ago. My flywheel two, was stuck in the out position. After changing out the battery cables - the problem went away!! Might give this a try if it happens again, or at least clean both ends of both cables and make sure the negative is against bare metal.

CatWoman :rider

Back