free website stats program keeping hands warm during winter riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

keeping hands warm during winter riding

mine are not the HD gloves there made by Alpine stars and are good to -9Deg C static temp

-9 deg C is pretty cold, don't think I would be worrying about my "hands" getting too cold...:newsmile075: but, you guys in Europe are used to it I guess...:small3d007:

But I wear my Belstaff gauntlets w/ Kevlar and Thinsulate insulation...and remember not to "grip" too tightly, but rather "hook" you fingers around the handles...that way your blood can circulate and keep warm.

Many riders tend to grip too tightly so do a test, when your hands feel cold, relax your grip and only touch your thumb to the middle finger, hooking the other fingers 'round the grip. If you feel warmth in the inside of your hands and palm you know you are holding on too tight and limiting blood circulation to your fingers...

Last edited:
if you guys get Hein Gericke clothing i reccomend trying out the Tuareg stuff its the stuff used by the Paris Dakar guys and is awesome - rode with a wind chill in freezing fog of -26C i had Ice on my jacket front, over my gloves my boots were frozen to the pegs and i had to stop eventually as the scrapping ice off the visor was getting tiresome and when i stopped the bike cut out and would not start (Honda) the throttle and clutch cables were frozen solid i went car hunting the following day LOL - was the coldest day recorded for around 30yrs

Hobbit, you are more of a man than I will ever be. I dont think I would drive a car in -26 much less a scooter. There is a reason I live in the south! :p

if you guys get Hein Gericke clothing i reccomend trying out the Tuareg stuff its the stuff used by the Paris Dakar guys and is awesome - rode with a wind chill in freezing fog of -26C i had Ice on my jacket front, over my gloves my boots were frozen to the pegs and i had to stop eventually as the scrapping ice off the visor was getting tiresome and when i stopped the bike cut out and would not start (Honda) the throttle and clutch cables were frozen solid i went car hunting the following day LOL - was the coldest day recorded for around 30yrs

Hobbit, you are the MAN!

But I wear my Belstaff gauntlets w/ Kevlar and Thinsulate insulation...and remember not to "grip" too tightly, but rather "hook" you fingers around the handles...that way your blood can circulate and keep warm.

Many riders tend to grip too tightly so do a test, when your hands feel cold, relax your grip and only touch your thumb to the middle finger, hooking the other fingers 'round the grip. If you feel warmth in the inside of your hands and palm you know you are holding on too tight and limiting blood circulation to your fingers...

nice tip. will give it a try. i looked at gerbing and alpine gloves last nite. not sure yet what to get. gerbing's G3 gloves look pretty good (least expensive of three they offer).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the G3 Gerbings and they are the most comfortable fit over the other gloves Gerbing makes. I tried the others on and they are restrictive.

As a thrifty Yankee (cheapskate) I recycle last year's ski gloves. I have skied when the temps were below 0f/-18c, but only ride till the temps get around 40f/4c and they work great.

I have the G3 Gerbings and they are the most comfortable fit over the other gloves Gerbing makes. I tried the others on and they are restrictive.

+ G3 Gerbings... our friends think we are nuts to ride in cool/cold weather... Unbelievable how comfortable the heated jacket liner and gloves are. 38 deg and 75 MPH on the interstate NO PROBLEM

If you catch their inventory at the right time or are an unusual size, check HERE for some pretty good deals on Gerbing. Wife and I both ride with a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. We are perfectly happy riding anywhere when it is in the 30's. And my wife is a cold weather weenie.

Back