Keeping ears warm question

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Jim B., Nov 5, 2011.

1. Jim B.

Jim B. Junior Member

I admit that I'm spoiled by the moderate temperatures of the central coast of California. However, the night-time temperatures are dropping into the high 40's and my ears are getting cold when I ride. How do you folks in colder climates keep your ears warm under your helmets when the temperature drops? Thanks.

2. deucedog

deucedog Active Member

3. 70_West

70_West Member

Tape some "Hot Hands" to them... :D

Actually I wear a full face helmet during Winter months, but my half helmet has some zip on/off ear protectors... They seem to work well when combined with a face shield. I'm always fighting the balaclava, slipping off my nose so I look like a red nosed Rudolph coming at you, but there again, I've never bought a good one.

Cozy Winters has some really good ones at a reasonable price...
    cozyWinters: Balaclava - Facemask - Face Mask

4. skeeter114

skeeter114 Member

Buy a beanie/stocking cap that isn't so thick and put it on under your helmet. Works good for me.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

A balaclava has worked for me for many years i usually put a stitch centre of the eye opening as it stops them getting all saggy around the face but i do end up looking like spider man but on occasions i use a head over pulled up enough to cover the cold bits

Brian

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Go to one of the lg sporting good chains, or racing store & get one of those thin facemasks. We always wore them while snowmobiling in MN's extreme winter weather. I think DennisKirk sells some in their snowmobile store (online). Should work...good luck!

7. speedyron

speedyron Active Member

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

With a stocking cap over the top for the dare I say cold mornings here in North Florida:s

9. revok1200

revok1200 Active Member

For 20.00 harley sells a headband that has the ear area enlarged to cover the ears and lobes.

I wear this when it gets cold 30-40's and don't have an issue. It's cheap, made well and easy to store.

10. bonsi57

bonsi57 Active Member

I just take a large bandana and fold it outside ends in so it is 4 to 5 inches wide, cover the forehead, over the ears and tie it tight at the back of my head. Works with my half helmet, no over tight problem. The knot is below the helmet.