free website stats program Keep blowing battery fuse | Harley Davidson Forums

Keep blowing battery fuse

inthedirt

Here are the symptoms:

Battery fuse blows as soon as battery is connected, even with switch off.
Turning the key does turn smoothly between the settings
Hooking only the battery hot lead does not blow the fuse, only when adding the accessory wire does.The two main wires off this fuse are the regulator and the ignition switch
Lights come on - speedo does not, not blinkers just steady turn signal light
No reaction from the starter when trying to start it (does not turn at all)

Obviously a short but could the ignition switch be bad? If so how do you test it when there is no connector to test from?

Check the following, especially for a dead short in the stator.

Harley Davidson Community

If all that is OK, then you will have to start running wire for a dead short. Best place to start is the last thing that was done to the bike BEFORE the problem started.

TQ

Thank you, I will try that.

I am told that it happened while installing a new battery, and touching the positive terminal to the frame, causing a spark. Has not been right since.

By saying battery fuse, you mean the fuse LABELED as the "Battery" 15 amp fuse. You do not mean the main MAXI battery fuse.

If that is true and the bikes wiring is stock & no add on's were wired in (optional security siren, GPS radar detector etc),,, disconnect the TSSM (turn signal security module) connector. Now replace the battery fuse with a new one. If fuse no longer blows, the TSSM module is shorted/blown.

(Based on a 2006 Sportster non-EFI)

Unhook the + lead to the battery, get an OHM meter,(Radio Shack if you don't have one), check resistance to ground from hot lead to ground, if it is low, say a couple of ohms, start unhooking different wires one by one till it goes up, then check the wires that make the difference in the reading, either a wire or something it's hooked to is shorted. A factory service manual with the right wiring diagram is almost a must have, and you need it anyway. Good luck.

Yes, the 15amp fuse, not the maxi fuse. The wiring is stock and i believe it has the optional security system. I bought the bike a week ago and don't know a lot about the history. Carb, non EFI.

Hoople, I was hoping you would chime in..........

According to the factory 2006 Sportster schematic on a carb bike, the 15 amp battery fuse only goes to two devices. One is the optional siren module and the other is the TSSM.

You actually may have more than 1 problem. The TSSM is probaby blown due to the fact the battery fuse blows and the bike won't crank. The TSSM enables/disables the starter.
Since the speedo won't light up, you may have more than 1 problem.

What I would do:
Determine if you have an optional siren. Is so just disconnect it for now. Now see if the battery fuse blow. If it still blows, replace the TSSM and replace fuse. If fuse now holds, re-connect siren module if you had one.

See if fuse blows. If fuse holds, see if bike will now start. If it does (and it should) troubleshoot any remaining problems such as speedo.

Since I don't have a service manual yet ( I have been using a wiring diagram from an older bike that I now realize is incorrect) can you tell me where these components are?

Everything you will need.. This shows the siren and TSSM location.

Attachments

• sm07c.pdf
    688.7 KB · Views: 162
Back