free website stats program K&N replacement oil and air filter | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N replacement oil and air filter

Now I have a big sucker installed on the bike since my original filter housing plastic case broke at where its bolted to the cylinder heads. Instead of buying the housing for $190, I bought big sucker for $210. replaced the idle jet to 44. saw that main jet was 180, didnt touch it. bought sealing set for cv carburator and replaced all. (discussed on other topic,) after solving the igniton problem, happy with my bike again. (my count of problems are rising quite fast, I am really worried about my period left to keep loving it)

oil filter, didnt do anything about that yet, will write about that later on when I do sthg.

I was quoted $48 for the disposable filter and thought I would upgrade to a K&N as I have always used them. I searched the K&N website for the 98 Sportster and only came up with the HD-1388 (how did you find the other model???). I then ordered one (a week ago) from the US as it is still cheaper than buying locally. It was only TODAY !! that I found it is obviously only used for US models but not here in OZ. The backing case for the filter box is completely different between the 1396 and the 1388 model.

So today, I have modified the new filter by using some of the old casing. I will post some photos tomorrow once it is all done. It took a few hours labour while I experimented but it looks good now and has a much bigger surface area than the old one.

SO, K&N IS GREAT BUT MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE RIGHT ONE!!!:wall

K&N Product Information for HD-1388

that I realised as well when I was searching for the correct replacement element from K&N. Even the dealer was insisting that 1388 was the correct one for me but the truth is, that one is for domestic sportsters which were only sold in the US.
how did I find the other one? found the part number for my original air filter from HD spare parts catalogue, and checked the cross-reference tool at K&N web site. I must admit, it took some time and my jam out of my donut!

Well after some mucking around I used some of the old filter casing and I now have the 1388 successfully installed with a good seal and much better breathing (as well as a washable filter).
Not sure if it is worth the effort if you have the option of buying the right one although at least my money was not wasted (and I didn't spend anything in doing the mod either).
A couple of photos show the original filter, the modification process and the finished fit. The chrome cover still fits nicely over the new filter!!:p

Attachments

• Filter 1.jpg
    Filter 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Filter 2.jpg
    Filter 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
  • KN 1.jpg
    KN 1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 28
  • KN 2.jpg
    KN 2.jpg