free website stats program K&N Oil Filter vs. HD | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N Oil Filter vs. HD

I also use HD Super Premium oil filter. That's the only protection for your expensive motor and is warranty approved.
Whatever you use don't use a car filter. They don't trap the fine particles and don't let anyone tell you different.

My thought have always been, we have no problem spending thousands on upgrades and hundreds on chrome. After buying a expensive motorcycle, so whats $9.00-$14.00 every 2,500 to 5,000 miles. So why even take a chance on none HD oil filters...

Here's some food for thought for you guys that prefer the non HD filters.

Try taking your bike in for warranty work with a problem related to the oiling system and see what the dealer tells you when they see an aftermarket oil filter in place.:laugh

It'll make a believer out of you then.

I"m convinced guys, HD OEM oil filter! On another note due to Glider's preference I'm switching to Mobil 1 V Twin, hope it doesn't leak.

Why do you say "Hope it doesn't leak" ? I'm asking that because I use Mobil 1 V Twin and have been getting a few annoying drops of oil on my driveay, garage floor & parking lots that I park in, and it's beginning to annoy me.:( Are you suggesting that it's too thin or something? I'm thinking it's more of a gasket problem and not the oil.

Why do you say "Hope it doesn't leak" ? I'm asking that because I use Mobil 1 V Twin and have been getting a few annoying drops of oil on my driveay, garage floor & parking lots that I park in, and it's beginning to annoy me.:( Are you suggesting that it's too thin or something? I'm thinking it's more of a gasket problem and not the oil.

Did you change all the orings last oil change??? Always a good idea for the $5.00 a oring kit is. All 3 plugs and derby gasket..

Here's some food for thought for you guys that prefer the non HD filters.

Try taking your bike in for warranty work with a problem related to the oiling system and see what the dealer tells you when they see an aftermarket oil filter in place.:laugh

It'll make a believer out of you then.

i would have to doubt they can void a warranty over this. I been in the automotive industry for years, indy repair shop, mainly light truck diesels. and it has been in court many times about using aftermarket branded oil/air/fuel filters and the manufacturer trying to say no warranty. only time i seen a manufacturer win, was with early Ford 7.3L DI engines and a K&N airfilter. the Ford motor co proved the K&N filter lets particles bigger than the factory filter thru, and eats up the leading edge of the turbo blades. not saying the HD folks couldnt try it, but doubt it would hold water in court.

Nope! While K&N air filters are well known by many in performance circles unfortunately their oil filters are much more "savoir faire" (mediocre like most other manufacturers). Oil filters are more specialized regarding metal housing, calibration of valving and such so odd of them making their filter "from scratch" and contracting out parts is more likely to have less quality control without many miles of R&D for each new model and application.

Since H-D has their own R&D, plenty of early model release info and long history of purchasing long term contracts with the few actual makers of oil filters is easier as they can dictate and insure their confidential specs are followed exactly...so H-D/Champion have a receipe and "marriage" that is hard to beat. Think it is safer to go with H-D, they would not put "sub-standard" stuff in their "tried and true" bikes! :D

I tried an K&N oil filter on my bike.When started it had a different sound to it, like it was straining or something. Went back to the H-D filter and it sounded normal again.Will not use anything else now.

Back