free website stats program K&N Filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N Filter

I am finally putting some miles on my bike and I can tell you that with stage1,pipes and TFI its like a completely different scoot from the time you engage the clutch all the way through the RPM band,my only regret is that I didn't do it last year!:D

Steve,

Where is the average rpm range you use on the highway for comfortable riding.

At what rpm does the the stock air cleaner restrict on a stock bore and stroke 96.. the TB volume(size) is still the same as when the stock AC was on.

The TFI alone, IMO, would have made the change in running.

Al

Steve,

Where is the average rpm range you use on the highway for comfortable riding.

At what rpm does the the stock air cleaner restrict on a stock bore and stroke 96.. the TB volume(size) is still the same as when the stock AC was on.

The TFI alone, IMO, would have made the change in running.

Al

Al I seen your question here this morning so I had to take the afternoon off to experiment!:D Here is what I came up with.I removed my stage 1 AC and reinstalled the stock one.I then rode it for about 20min. in city and highway,at 2000-3000 Rpm when I would twist the throttle it was lugging and unresponsive and at 70mph. in 6th (2500RPM) I had to downshift to pass cars.I then went back to the shop and removed the baseplate and drilled five 9/16'' holes in it and reinstalled. I took it for another ride and it was a bit more responsive ,but not much.Back to the shop.Reinstalled stage 1 and went for the same ride.When you twist it up at the same RPM range it goes! you can hear it suck in the air it was starving for and it doesn't lug.On highway I don't have to downshift to pass,unless I wan't to_On a side note it was 58f. here today and when I was running the stock and drilled intake my air guage read 80,when I went back to stage1 it never went over 70 and I have ridden the rest of the afternoon ,not just 20min.runs.:small3d026:

Steve,
I appreciate the time you spent to make this a scientifically proven response. I don't doubt your findings.
My AC is still matched to stock mufflers, yours, with non stock mufflers, let's say, might now be out of balance.

The reason I doubted any reason to change is I am running stock except for the TMax A/T and don't have any problem with the power or torque or mileage. I don't drag race I do run in 6th gear and have not considered it lacking get up and go.

Thanks again,

Al

I was curious myself Al and I had already decided to take the afternoon off so now I could do the experiment and satisfy my curiousity as well as some others.I will tell you that I was happy with my bike stock,except for the heat when touring in the summer,thats why I decided to do the upgrades I did.Well that and reading here on the forum! But once I did them and rode it for the first time there was no comparison.It just runs so much better and if I feel like putting it in 6th and setting the cruise at 65 it doesn't feel like its minding the lower RPM at all.

Steve,

My winter rides have not been over 60* here, so the heat from the engine has been welcome.

Now, if my seat will soften up, I can say my bike is perfect.

Al

Back