K&N Air filter

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Joe2007ultra, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Joe2007ultra

Joe2007ultra Active Member

What did I do wrong? I serviced my K & N filter witht the K & N cleaning and recharge kit before I put the bike away for the winter. Being that its in my office at work, I noticed 3 drops of red oil on the floor this morning. After checking I found it was the red recharge oil used on the filter. I treated it exactly as the K & N manual stated.

Did I over spray the filter is this normal for it to run off like that? I noticed there was a nice puddle sitting on the crankcase rite below the air filter.

Anyone else ever seen this ??

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

you probley overoiled it some .. but you will get some dripping

3. Joe2007ultra

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Too much oil. You are supposed to spray the center of the filter 360* and let is soak in before adding more oil.
    It will probably drip more when you run it and it gets hot.

5. jimharvey1

jimharvey1 Junior Member

Yup. Happened on the Superglide. Nice puddle of oil alongside the jugs. At first I about flipped as I thought I had a leak. Then I figured it out when I smelled it.

6. Joe2007ultra

Yes I must of over oiled it also, Did the same freek out until i figured it out .

Thanks for the heads up!

7. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

Should you run the engine after servicing the filter?

I have never owned a K&N but am thinking about getting one.

Should you run the engine after you service the filter? It seems like the air flow would possibly disperse the oil some.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

With the oil properly done to the filter, usually there isn't any after problems with dripping. Running the engine wouldn't hurt anything as long as the oil applied has "wicked" through the filter already.