K&M air filter

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by galxl68, Apr 13, 2014.

1. galxl68

galxl68 Member

I have a 2006 Softail Deluxe. I just installed a air filter kit from K&M. the original air filter on the bike uses a small hose from each head and goes into the air filter. My guess is venting for the heads. on the new kit from K&M those vents are capped off. Is that ok to plug off the vents for the heads? if not what are my options. Thanks Mike

2. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

Your bike will be fine with that K N filter

3. galxl68

galxl68 Member

Thanks

4. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

No, it is Not OK to plug those off. They are crank case breathers.

You refer to K & M twice. What kit are you using? The SE kit comes with a new backing plate with holes for the breather hoses to go thru and a K & N filter.

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Stray dog is correct. IF they are in fact "plugged off". It is not ok. Tell us exactly what breather you have.

6. wfmacii

wfmacii Member

Assuming we are talking about K&N, refer to step 13 of the attached instructions. K&N does not block off the breather holes. They just eliminate the breather hoses by using the breather bolts in mounting the back plate. I had the same concern when I first took the filter kit out of the box, but after reading the instructions realized the breather bolts were not blocked off.

These instructions are for my 2011 Heritage. Once installed be sure to clean the filter at every oil change and recharge with a very fine coat of K&N oil.

Attached Files:

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Best double check that install, the breathers have to work or you will have oil puking out the air cleaner cover

8. Jack Klarich

[​IMG] Here is a pic of your OEM venting for reference

9. Jack Klarich

10. galxl68

galxl68 Member

Thanks for all the help. I took the air filter off and looked at the breather bolts, and there is a little hole in the back plate that feeds to the air intake. I should of looked closer when I installed it.