free website stats program Just Ordered my Gen3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just Ordered my Gen3

Bikergeek

Today I spoke to Chris at Dobeck and he suggested the Gen3 over the TFI for my FLSTC. I told him my concerns of not having any available space to mount the thing so he said the Gen3 is a bit thinner than the TFI and might offer more options for the mounting. I hope he is right.

I also hope this is the right thing for my bike. Never sure about any of these expensive add-ons that claim to do the impossible.

I also hope this isn't a nightmare to install.

I gave him the order and I am awaiting delivery.

Everything will be ok. You'll be happy with it. Ear to ear grin I'm sure.

Bodeen

Everything will be ok. You'll be happy with it. Ear to ear grin I'm sure.

Bodeen

As you see I gave My stamp of approval above...

YES easy and Works Great.... What modifications do you have ... Stage one???

Perfect results and Later,,, I added SE 255 cams and MAN.......:D

My bike 09 FLHR 96" / full stage one / SE 255 cams OH YES TFI...

signed....BUBBIE

Today I spoke to Chris at Dobeck and he suggested the Gen3 over the TFI for my FLSTC. I told him my concerns of not having any available space to mount the thing so he said the Gen3 is a bit thinner than the TFI and might offer more options for the mounting. I hope he is right.

I also hope this is the right thing for my bike. Never sure about any of these expensive add-ons that claim to do the impossible.

I also hope this isn't a nightmare to install.

I gave him the order and I am awaiting delivery.

I think you will be happy with the results. The Gen 3 versions are a bit more sophisticated that the TFIs (which I have) in that the 3s have push buttons to change the settings and a few more intervals to adjust. The older versions have 4 analog pots to adjust for the various interval.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to install. It does help to loosen the gas tank and carefully prop the rear of the tank up so you can get your hands in on the injectors more easily. I mounted the TFI under the seat as shown below.

These devices add a bit more fuel at the various intervals based on the settings the user enters. They can be tweaked until the engine runs as the user wants. That is what is claimed and delivered. Good little unit.

TQ

Attachments

• 43-Install TFI.jpg
    43-Install TFI.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 44-Location of TFI.jpg
    44-Location of TFI.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 103
Thanks guys for the re-assurance. Chris from Dobeck told me what to expect and how to install. I looked at both units online and got a little education about how they work and the Gen3 sounded more interesting. I like to press buttons vs. turning screws. LOL! :p

My biggest concern besides placement of the main unit is getting to the O2 sensor wiring harnesses to disconnect the two O2 sensors from the system.

NOTE to TQ: I think there is a whole lot more space available on your bike. Not much open real estate available for installing things with the Heritage.

That is a concern; removing the O2 sensors could be an issue if for some reason I need to bypass the Gen3 and allow the engine to run normally. The O2 sensors will make that very difficult to do since they will have to be re-connected in order for the engine to run correctly while the Gen3 is out of the system. Any thoughts on this?

Has anyone install the Gen3 on a 2008+ Heritage? Where did you mount the unit? I don't want to install it behind the rear fender guard. It is not a very accessible location should the need arise to re-adjust the Gen3.

As you see I gave My stamp of approval above...

YES easy and Works Great.... What modifications do you have ... Stage one???

Perfect results and Later,,, I added SE 255 cams and MAN.......:D

My bike 09 FLHR 96" / full stage one / SE 255 cams OH YES TFI...

signed....BUBBIE

As per what I was told by the original owner, the bike has the Stage 1 upgrade and Vance & Hines "Big Shots" installed. He claimed the dealer did the "standard" dealer re-programming for the Stage 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an 05 Heritage and mounted the TFI under the seat with no problems at all. You should be OK.

As per what I was told by the original owner, the bike has the Stage 1 upgrade and Vance & Hines "Big Shots" installed. He claimed the dealer did the "standard" dealer re-programming for the Stage 1.

Your going to LOVE what the TFI/Gen3 does for the Bike especially after HD did their PUNY up-grade.. HD's program usually only gives More Fuel at WOT and not during the ride where it is needed... TFI and Gen3 will that is WILL..

signed....BUBBIE

@BIKERGEEK
I just installed a gen 3 on my 09 RKC and according to some of the pics Ive seen on the tfi the gen 3 is smaller. about the size of a deck of cards but half as thick. I found 3 or 4 good spots to mount it so I think you'll be able to with your heritage. If you want while your waiting for it to come in just take a full deck of cards out to the bike and play around with possible spots to mount it and if the cards fit the gen 3 def will. Install isnt vey hard at all I did prop up rear of tank and it helped alot. Good Luck!

I met a few guys yesterday and I was talking about the Gen3 and what it is suppose to do.

One guy looked at my exhaust pipes and determined there is a lot of carbon inside the ends of the pipes which he determined represented a rich A/F mix. Apparently my Stage 1 kit and the Harley re-programming already richened the mix to satisfy the Stage1 needs.

So, now I question whether the Gen3 is needed at all since it is suppose to "richen" the mix which apparently has been done.

Will adding the Gen3 over-enrich the mix to the point the engine will been wasting fuel and adding more unburned fuel to the system?

I ordered the Gen3 but now I am having "buyer's remorse" and I haven't received the Gen3 at this time.

Hopefully, open-minded, (members that have no financial connections to the Dobeck company. LOL) can answer these questions and doubts.

I

One guy looked at my exhaust pipes and determined there is a lot of carbon inside the ends of the pipes which he determined represented a rich A/F mix. Apparently my Stage 1 kit and the Harley re-programming already richened the mix to satisfy the Stage1 needs.

Carbon in the exhaust is not an indication of a rich mixture on these bikes. The gen 3 will make the bike run much better than stock with the download.

Back