free website stats program Just Not Down With Two-Up | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just Not Down With Two-Up

I don't think going along as a passenger is really riding. It's something to do together, but it's just not riding a bike. Riding a bike is an instinctive kind of thing where split second reflexive action is sometimes needed to remain upright (if not squashed like a grape).

Rocket while I respect and have to concur with alot of your points I do have to debate the statement above, my wife and I before she got her own bike, while on the road use to like to stop at the top of a mountains in AZ. or N M and turn the engine off, I would not touch the handle bars or brakes and there would be miles of fantastic curvy hwy in front of us all down hill, I could not of made the curves with out her weight distribution to the bike, considering speed, curves and being fully packed down looking much like the Beverly Hillbilly's, it was much like luge at the Olympics, A team sport. When we reached the bottom of the mountain the smile across her face was no less then my own. Kinda puts new meaning to the term "back seat driver".
I feel the same applies to just driving down the hwy, she takes the same risks and enjoys the same pleasures, and definite contributes.

Quite agree with Smitty, my gal likes being on the back because she can relax and not think about the hazards and stress of managing the bike AND carrying a loved one. And as Rocket J so aptly put, there are those who choose to ride solo, and that is their choice.

My point is personal satisfaction riding solo is a given, but that perspective limits your joy and personal treasure chest of experience to one; wouldn't you like to carry twice as much over a lifetime of riding? THAT was what I met about the thread being more about YOU than about the solo experience by itself. Rode solo for a very long time, just found it a lot more rewarding to share it with others, that smile on their face increased mine 10 fold.

And yes, I was thankful for that first motorcycle experience riding on the back of my friends new Honda 750 back in 1972 I think, and it inspired me later to actually BUY one for street riding. And yes, thinking about riding on the back I feel a bit uneasy, but that is because I am a bit of a control freak...and old age makes me a bit more jaded.

Last edited:
Rocket, you kind of nailed it "he'd call a cab" :D. I guess I could have put him on the back, but since he's quite a bit bigger than I am, I thought he would look funny riding on the back. :D That's why I let him drive. LOL

We have talked about me riding on the back with a camera, (video or still) on occasion, but we've never done that yet.

Call me a cab. OK, you're a cab :laugh

There are certainly a mix of opinions expressed here about two-up riding.
Chopper, I'm callin' uncle on whether two-up is really riding or not. I'll concede that it is. Most cool image about coasting down the mountain like that. Actually I'll have to eat lots more of my words in this thread because my wife now wants us to take the Electra Glide on a 140 mile little road trip to eat at a new restaurant she's heard about (as soon as it warms up into the 70s). Well, I've still got the big seat to put back on, so I guess one more little two-up would be OK.

75%/25%, 2 up vs solo. We have talked about her getting a bike and being a pilot, but she says she is content to be the passenger. I enjoy her company on rides and feel something is missing when she is absent. I do try to be more aware when she is onboard and she loves going fast.

I will never be a passenger. Never have since I started riding in the early 80's. My profession is a road warrior (sales) and I don't much like being a passenger in a car either.

Currently put on about 40,000/yr in a cage and average about 12,000-13,000 on a bike.

That being said, my wife is content with being a passenger and has no desire to get behind the handlebars. Knowing her for the past 17 years, I have no desire for her either.

Some people just aren't made to ride. She's one of them. And she admits that she's one of them. Its a confidence thing and the ability to make quick decisions on two wheels that could either save you or kill you.

But with her it comes down to desire and she just doesn't have that desire.

Might as well add my 2 cents to this thread.

The first and only time I rode on the back seat, I was about 10 and my dad's friend came over on his big Duo Glide and offered to take me for a ride and my life has never been the same since.

My first bike, like many here was a dirt bike and I moved up to a Triumph for a short time. I got married, gave up riding, got divorced (shoulda kept the bike) Bought a beat up Sportster. Pretty much rode solo all this time, but after I bought my Heritage I got a new girlfriend that liked to ride, she's a keeper so We ride two up as much as possible.

I retired a couple of years ago so my solo riding time has increased from just commuting to some longer rides during the week. I guess I enjoy both types, it's great to have Brenda back there and it's also great to ride alone and get a little crazy. Two different riding experiences, both great!

Most of my riding is solo. I really enjoy when my wife rides and wish she would/could more. We have 4 daughters though and it is hard for us to get out and ride together. When she does ride though it is not a long one. The longest I have gotten her to do is 225 miles.

Back