free website stats program Just Not Down With Two-Up | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just Not Down With Two-Up

Okay - time to hear from someone who used to ride behind. We put a lot of miles on the Road King - two up. Then someone suggested I take lessons, just to see what it was like. I was hooked. We were shopping for an H-D (is there any other brand) for me before the class was over.

Now we put tons of miles on two bikes - he has an Ultra and I have a Low Rider. We both enjoy the 'ride beside and not behind' situation much better. On very very rare occasions, I will get on back seat of the Ultra (a ride to the shop to pick up my bike after service, for example) but since I got my own it has probably been for less than 100 miles each year.

I love riding with my wife and she loves swinging her leg over the seat as much as I do.I'm glad because I've got a pretty penny invested in my seat,backrest and rear footboards.Her sisters think she's crazy for doing something dangerous.(glad I didn't marry one of them!)Besides,my wife usually has her helmet on before I do.

I love the way it feels with my wife riding with me, loved it when she was 17 and now as she is turning 50 I love it even more.

I prefer solo, but like having the wife behind me also (she sold her bike). I am and have always been absolutely TERRIFIED to be the passenger. Even as a kid, the only reason I would ride behind was if there was a chance the owner/driver would let me drive. It must be a control thing.

I do almost all of my riding solo but it's not always by choice. My wife teaches classes and is otherwise very busy most weekdays. My schedule is somewhat erratic so I have a lot of weekdays free. Just works out that it's my time to go out for a couple hours while she's busy and spend some time getting what I call my "two wheel therapy!"

My wife's comfortable temperature zone is also somewhere between 72 and 76 degrees! She just doesn't have as much gear as I do to deal with variable weather conditions and she's always been a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold and/or wind. This also limits the opportunities for her to come along on a ride.

Lastly, she's not a big fan of high speeds on the interstates so no multi day, cross country trips for us. These I do solo when I get the chance.

As far as riding on the back - I'm amazed at how great and relaxed most of you guy's SO's are. I would be a total wreck riding as a passenger! I've thought about asking my neighbor across the street to let me ride on the back of his Road King just to experience it but I'd probably cause us to wreck. Besides, the neighbors might start talking about us! :p

My daughter rides with me quite often but my wife won't even get on my bike. She says it bothers her not to be in control. She doesn't want to ride her own either. As far as passengers go, my daughter is great. She rides back there like she was born on two wheels. I have to check on her every so often as I'm always afraid she will get too comfy and fall asleep and that scares me.

sounds like my wife, she will sleep if she gets bored or tired. Haven't lost her yet. My daughter rides with the in-law guy and she likes a little nap also.
happy ridding

Cathy doesn't ride with me even a fraction of what she used to.

Ever since our youngest was born, (he just turned 12), she feels we shouldn't take the risk of being together on the scoot too often, in case of a catastrophic event.

I have to respect that. Chris needs at least ONE of us, at least for a few more years.

So my wife will ride with me occasionally, not for any real long rides, and I have to ride VERY conservatively when she's on-board. But I do enjoy having her join me on those few little rides, and miss the days when every time the bike was fired up she was right behind me.

But things change, and that's ok. She promises to ride full time again as soon as Chris enters college! :D

That is our situation to a tee. We have a 12 year old boy and 11 year old girl. Her thoughts mirror Cathy and I too respect that but I sure do look forward to taking some long cruises with her.

i have had a bike of somekind most of my life. I enjoy the solo thing for a little while but my wife is my best friend and soulmate when shes not back there my bike is missing something! I can tell a difference in the way the bike handles but its not for the better or the worst, just a little different. We have friends that are married but live totaly seperate lives, and that ill never undertsand. My wife and i got together because we like each others company and enjoy the same things , so its two up for me!

ditto.

I like both. my wife loves to ride and I dont mind her on the back. it is nice to ride solo some times too. I like the change

My wife and I used to ride two-up all the time. But she has since gotten her own bike, and I went to a solo seat set-up.

Isn't the saying, "once you go solo... you never go duo?" :lolrolling

Same with me except the solo seat. Thought I would keep it just in case her Honda breaks down. :D

Back