free website stats program Just Not Down With Two-Up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just Not Down With Two-Up

Add my to the list of solo riders, to me it’s more comfortable less irritating and more peaceful.
Infact I ordered a solo seat and solo rack for my valentines present to myself.
My old seats are on Craig’s list if anyone wants them.

I have had a bike of somekind most of my life. I enjoy the solo thing for a little while but my wife is my best friend and soulmate when shes not back there my bike is missing something! I can tell a difference in the way the bike handles but its not for the better or the worst, just a little different. we have friends that are married but live totaly seperate lives, and that Ill never undertsand. my wife and I got together because we like each others company and enjoy the same things , so its two up for me!

When I started, the 883 was a blast. Then I got the wife to ride with me. The 883 got way too small fast. The SG is in the garage now, and the wife is my back seat warmer. I enjoy solo no doubt, but two up is much more fun. I tend to pay attention much more also. I can always turn off the Scala Rider if she get too loud !

I'm with Smitty on this one. I love to have the wife on back of the scooter when I ride. I would worry if she had her own. I still like an occasional ride alone but I happen to be one of the luck ones who is married to my best friend so she is welcome any time.

I'm retired but the wife still works. This works out just fine. She likes the "short runs" but declines on the longer ones. We have a good time when we're together but it's not that often we ride two up. I have a 2008 Softail Custom with 23,000 miles on it. My wife probably has been there for 4,000. But we're happy and I guess that's the most important thing.

RocketJ...I can understand your concern and quite honestly those feelings are real and best face in your own personal confort zone. For the new rider, that comfort zone is very tight and focused, but as experience and personal interest grows, sharing is a HUGE benefit BUT is not for everyone.

It is up to both the Rider and a huge responsibility for both...so do what you feel is best. Just keep an open mind, cause sharing the joy truly is a BIG plus in riding a motorcycle, whether as a passenger or with a group ride. Smitty is correct, riding two up after awhile can even be "transparent"...only when doing very low speed maneuvers in tight areas do you feel the pillion partner, just practice with extra ballast and fully loaded bike to sharpen your skills, so when you ride two up there will be no "drama"...

My wife loves to ride with me and we have a very good time together.

That being said, sometimes a good solo run with my bikin buddy is just the ticket.

Now...on the Buell...thats my toy. She don't go on that one!!

Now I'm wondering how many of you guys who so much in favor of riding two-up would enjoy being the one riding behind? We have yet to "hear" from a passenger. I guess I also have it in mind that there is perhaps a bit of sexist (perhaps subservient would be a better choice of words) thought involved for thinking an adoring woman (passengers are mostly women, right?) will be so thrilled to always ride ride behind.

I'm not new on bikes. I got my license in 1964. Like I wrote in the OP, my sole means of transportation in the 70s when I met my wife was a bike. If we wanted to go anywhere then we had to go two-up on my bike. I see things differently now than then. Frankly, I have great respect for someone who has been a passenger say they would rather ride their own bike along with you than ride behind you on your bike. This recently happened with a couple I know. She now rides her lowered Sportster right along with her husband on his Springer and it looks like they have more fun than ever. I also have a friend who fairly recently had to lay his Glide down while riding two-up. It's still not a pretty sight, probably more mentally than physically. I'll run the risk, but I just no longer want to run the risk for someone with me on my bike.

I enjoy riding two up with my wife always have. Sometimes i do not even know she is there, till she smacks me in the head to turn around so she can see something again.
I also enjoy riding alone and do often, but given the choise I would want her with me every ride.

Amen Smitty! Taking a nice ride with the wife (and leaving the kids at home) has become one of our favorite hobbies. She loves to get dolled up (leathers and boots) and hold on tight. I do love riding solo but the bike seems to perk up a bit when she's gracing the saddle!

We rode two-up for years. My wife has been riding solo for about 2-years now but I kinda miss the two-up thing. As far as me riding back-seat; I don't think so.

Back