free website stats program just got new bike home and have a big problem | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

just got new bike home and have a big problem

The dealer was crazy with there regulator prices today.

I now see what you mean about crazy prices. The part number for your 2006 Dyna regulator is 74631-06 and it has a MSRP price of $194. It is 3 phase and 38 amps just like mine but alot more expensive.

I wonder what's up with that because I just can't believe that internally, it is a whole bunch different. Yours may have long pigtail wires where as mine does not. I can't believe that one model year regulator could be so unique.

Strange. My 3 phase 38 amp is $120 (MSRP) but can be purchased for $96 (genuine HD part number 74631-08). Would you know the part number on your 2006 regulator.

Ronnies lists '06 FXDWG V.R. #74631-06 msrp $194, their price $175.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I went to J&P web site that regulator is not the same as my 07 egc it is a lot more expensive the dealer price is only about 10-20 $ more...

This is from Tom:

You seem to have found your problem,most important thing here is take your time dont rush even a inexperienced wrench can do this.You will need at least two tools most people dont own,a wrench to get compensator nut off and a socket to get the clutch off.As stated earlier the HD manual is excelent,go to the section on clutch removal,the clutch and compensator come off together,follow exactly steps on auto adjuster removal youll have trouble later if you dont.Once you have compensator and clutch off you will note you cant get the rotor off,this is where you will deviate from the manual,if you will loosen the bolts on the inner primary (carefully pry it loose so not to damage gasket) you will find the rotor can just slip off probably takes about a half inch of play at compensator end being careful not to damage starter gear,dont loosen more than required.Then installation is reverse of removal,if you are going with a S.E. comp follow there directions,be sure and use loctite and torque the comp nut to proper values. Good luck Tom..

Tom,

I am very sorry that I merged this message with another member's post by mistake. My apologies.

TQ

I started to fit some of the new parts on the bike tonight. The stator fits fine but the rotor does not fit. The left side is hiting the side of the primary case. has anyone else had this issue?

Yes. You need to loosen/remove all the bolts holding the inner primary, then move the inner primary a little bit in order to clear the rotor. On mine I also had to remove the starter bolts to pull it out of the way. Leave the cables attached to the starter. The cables can remain on starter because your just getting it off of the inner primary. I reused the inner primary gasket with no problems or leaks.

I have been really busy with the holidays and have not taken the time to finish my stator/rotor project until tonight. I have the new stator/ rotor in along with the drive components. Following my manual every step of the way. The last step before re installing the chain tensioner is to adjust clutch. So I went to the clutch adjustment section in my manual and loosened the clutch adjuster cable a little. Then it says to activate the clutch lever to verify the balls are seated in the ramps. When I grabed the clutch there was nothing. Just went straight to the grip. No tension at all. Did I re-install something wrong. It does not seem like a clutch adjustment issue. It feels like the cable is not even hooked up. PLEASE HELP... I am so close to being finished. I was looking forward to a ride tomorrow.
Thanks, David

I have been really busy with the holidays and have not taken the time to finish my stator/rotor project until tonight. I have the new stator/ rotor in along with the drive components. Following my manual every step of the way. The last step before re installing the chain tensioner is to adjust clutch. So I went to the clutch adjustment section in my manual and loosened the clutch adjuster cable a little. Then it says to activate the clutch lever to verify the balls are seated in the ramps. When I grabed the clutch there was nothing. Just went straight to the grip. No tension at all. Did I re-install something wrong. It does not seem like a clutch adjustment issue. It feels like the cable is not even hooked up. PLEASE HELP... I am so close to being finished. I was looking forward to a ride tomorrow.
Thanks, David

I am assuming you have reassembled the clutch basket correctly with the pushrod installed, and the adjuster bracket, adjuster screw and snap-ring all installed.

You may just have slacked off the the clutch cable sheath adjuster too much which will allow the clutch lever to collapse all the way. Just for grins, adjust it back out and see if your lever starts to actuate the clutch. If not, the there is the possibility that the end of the clutch cable has come off the dog lever inside the side cover. Unlikely, so I would look for other stuff in all ther rest of the clutch system to make sure everything has been reassembled correctly. Last thing I would do is to take the side cover off to see if the cable is on the dog lever. This is a nightmare because you will probably have to remove the pipes to do it!!

TQ

I still have the primary cover off. How much thread of the rod should be exposed? There is approx 2" of total thread. About 1.25 " is exposed. Should I screw more of the thread in? I should have taken more detailed pictures during tear down.

I am assuming you have reassembled the clutch basket correctly with the pushrod installed, and the adjuster bracket, adjuster screw and snap-ring all installed.

You may just have slacked off the the clutch cable sheath adjuster too much which will allow the clutch lever to collapse all the way. Just for grins, adjust it back out and see if your lever starts to actuate the clutch. If not, the there is the possibility that the end of the clutch cable has come off the dog lever inside the side cover. Unlikely, so I would look for other stuff in all ther rest of the clutch system to make sure everything has been reassembled correctly. Last thing I would do is to take the side cover off to see if the cable is on the dog lever. This is a nightmare because you will probably have to remove the pipes to do it!!

TQ

Back