Just bought one

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Drew, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Drew

Drew Active Member

Hello all-
    I took the MSF course last September, and have not ridden since. I just bought a 2008 XL883C!!!I was initially thinking of buying a Dyna, as other's said I would be fine starting on a bike that size, but thought I should start on something smaller, as the MSF course is the only experience I have. The sporty just felt right to me when I sat on it. Maybe I will feel compelled to upgrade at some point, but I love the looks of the sporty, and look forward to successful relationship with it!

I am a very cautious driver, and would be ATGATT, full face helmet, etc. I have two small kids at home, so I will do everything in my power to decrease the risks this sport inherently has. I have read Proficient Motorcycling, and A Twist of the Wrist. I would say I took to riding a motory cycle very well in class. But I must admit, I'm a little nervous to make that first venture into traffic. I am athletic and well coordinated (and have always driven a stick shift car... so the clutch/throttle dynamic came fairly easy to me) so I hope that serves me well. My stats:

35 yr. old male
    6'1" and a solid 210 pounds

I have not taken delivery of the bike, as I have nowhere to put it right now. The anticipation is killing me! I can't wait to get going!

regards,
    Drew

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Congrats and welcome

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Good luck with the new bike Drew.

4. The Bad Man's Angel

The Bad Man's Angel Active Member

Welcome! I ride a 883 - 55ci as well and love mine. Some day I may go bigger but the 60mpg with enough power to feel safe on the highway is hard to beat.

5. FunkyNova66

FunkyNova66 Member

Congrats on your new bike! It's a great feeling isn't it?:D

6. Drew

Drew Active Member

It'll be better once I actually take delivery and ride it... the wait is killin' me!!!

7. Jcannon

Jcannon Member

Hey congrats on the new bike !! I'd be going to lowes so you can build a shed and get your bike already!!!

8. Fourdogs

Fourdogs Junior Member

Great!..welcome here, and Good Luck, and Good riding. I know you'll love it...This motorcycle stuff is really addicting...lol btw...buy some chrome...lol:D

9. Sharky1948

Sharky1948 Junior Member

Good advice...while you're waiting for the bike, it's a good time to start paying the Harley tax!

10. pookibr

pookibr Active Member

Congratulations Drew!!! You're gonna be fine. I am learning to ride my new one too. I havent taken the safety coarse yet. Its booked till Sept.