free website stats program just a heads up | Harley Davidson Forums

just a heads up

marknett

I have a 96 1200c with a S&S super E carb , bored .040 . screaming eagle ignition , Vance & Hines straight shots , and a cam upgrade , although I don't know the size . Since I bought this bike , I've had problems with it kicking back on start up. I tried to tune it out but it was still there . I checked for intake leaks , still there . Well I'm happy to say that I finally found the problem. I replaced the battery that was in the bike ( walmart special ) with an AGM style 300 C.C.A. battery and no more problems . SO if anyone else out there is fighting these same symptoms maybe this will help you .
:bigsmiley11:

A low output battery or smaller than needed will surely cause the problem you were having.

You may also want to remove any carbon from the cylinders which would also help. The carbon raises the compression ration and can also cause the kick back you were having. There's no downside to doing this procedure.

Harley Davidson Community

As usual Glider , sound advice . I did this just a few weeks ago based on your advice ... It works

Good deal!

It's best if you turn the exhaust towards a wall. You can see all the carbon that comes out then.

I never cheap out on Batteries, I learned the hard way tears ago with a Die Easy and I work for them:p

Plus with the AGM (glass mat) style batteries there is no drain tube to leak out . Slower rate of discharge , can be mounted at an angle if necessary , though I wouldn't recommend it , Well worth a little more dough

Back