free website stats program Just a friendly reminder: Check your break switches once in a while.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Just a friendly reminder: Check your break switches once in a while....

mroleg

....especially after long rides. When everything vibrates for long periods of time. Even more so on older bikes.
Both my break switches were out of commission last night, good thing I checked. Rear break switch had one of two wires broken off. It is an easy fix just a matter of noticing it.
Handlebar break switch, had one of the wires vibrated off so I had to take the switches off and re-solder it. Nothing complicated just a matter of noticing it again.

Good thought. I make it a habit when riding to do periodic checks when stopped in front of or behind a car with a quick check of the brake light and sometimes the directionals and watch in the reflection of the car for their operation. Can't be too safe out there.

I started the habit last year of checking the brake light with both front lever and rear pedal while the bike warms up.....so I never leave the house w/o the brake lights working!

I had a problem with the adjustment on mine and my brake light stayed on. It took me a while to figure that one out.

One of my pre ride rituals is to go through all of the safety devices on the bike that have switches. I check the turn signals, horn, brake pedal and lever, and give the bike a walk around. It takes about a minute and is worth the time...

Very good habit to get into before rolling down the road.
Am doing this ever since training.

Take care,
Kris

A REAL good habit to get into. Chack out all controls and lights before taking off and at intervals on a long ride.

Your right, I know it is a good idea to do a pre-ride inspection and I am guilty of only doing it once a month or so.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I had a problem with the adjustment on mine and my brake light stayed on. It took me a while to figure that one out.

Adjustment?
My front brake switch is causing me some problems. It keeps my brake light on unless I push the lever forward with my fingers for a while after brake deployment. It will also sometimes make my brake light flicker on as I go over bumps.
Any advice?

Back