free website stats program Just a few more days | Harley Davidson Forums

Just a few more days

Jick Scott

Thanks to so many riders in here and over a year and a half of research, will be picking up my new FLHR Road King day after tomorrow. The dealer is about two hours from my home. My concern is the breakin on the way back. Would sure appreciate the experience of this forum on the best way to do that. It's been about 40 years since I owned a bike and I want to do what's right for the new engine. Thank you for your time.

Jick; Click on the self help tab at the top left of the page, or on the search tab in the center of the page. Search for new engine break in, and take your pick.
Congrats on the new ride.:newsmile093:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jick, when I bought my 09 last year I left the dealer with 5.8 miles on the bike and did Gliders 30-60-30 break in procedure which basically said to get it up to 3rd gear and accelerate with about 3/4 throttle up to 60 mph then let the engine brake the bike down to 30 mph, do that 10 times and your rings should be seated. After that just vary your speed for the first 500 miles, in other words don't hold a constant speed for a long time. I now have almost 2500 miles on the bike and it runs great. Good luck and happy riding.

Glad you made your choice JS, a new piece of HD iron is a very good thing. No worries, the break in procedure is in the self help section and is perfectly okay to do within the 1st 100 miles for best results. Others will weigh in here, but the key is to make sure the swept area of the rings breaks in by "wear hardening" the swept surfaces and minimize possibility of hitting the end of stroke ridge. It also does not hurt to change the "breakin" oil early, as there are a lot of machine particles that end up being suspended in the oil & gear lubes.

Back