free website stats program Joyflyin Does A Service | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Joyflyin Does A Service

Great information I will be tackling the oil cahnge for the first time in the morning. I do have another question I am new to fourms and I do not know how to start a new post. I have read some on SERT tuning but have a few further questions how do I start a post and not jump in and interrpt someone elses?

I have read some on SERT tuning but have a few further questions how do I start a post and not jump in and interrpt someone elses?

RoadGlide,
First be sure your Logged in. Click on "Electrical" under General Tech Harley Davidson. At the bottom of that page you will see "New Thread". Click on that. Give your Thread an interesting title that people will WANT to read. Don't title it "I Need Help" or "I Have a Question". That tells people nothing until they click on it.

The more detail in your question, the more & better the replies will be.
Have Fun & Welcome to the Forum:p

Great instructions Joyflyin! I think I'll be ready to tackle my next oil change without too much worry. I've read other places that it's important to fill up the oil filter with oil before putting the new filter on. Is that a step you forgot to write or is it not really necessary?

I used to do that for my vehicles when I would have to do the service on them. I am a bit messy when it comes to the oil changes, just never got it down. My brother can pull the plug on a car and not make a mess, but I always seem to make a mess. But, in answer to your question, at the time I wrote this up, I was so excited to be actually doing the service, I forgot and just put the filter on. Now I pour just a little bit of oil into the filter, (maybe a 1/3rd full), and put the filter on. I seem to be able to get the filter on with just a bit of oil in it without too much of a mess. :s

Joy, to avoid the fresh oil mess...fill the filter to 2/3, angle it so the entire paper element is wetted and wait for 3 or 4 minutes...the filter element will soak virtually all of it up so the filter will "seem" almost empty...you will not spill even a drop...you'll beat your brother for the cleanest oil change yet! :D

NHD, I don't if I can wrench anything neater than big bro, but he can fix cranes & stuff too. :D I was sort of on that track, though, I would pour the oil in while turning the filter and it would sort of soak up, I just didn't put much oil in because I generally make a big enough mess any way. :D

Very Good Joy. You should make a video of all of that and then market it on the net. Call it .... Learn how to give your Hog some Joy.

Awesome write-up joy - I'd say you're ready for the next step (re-build)...;)

Seriously, way to get in there & have the confidence to take on a challenge - proves all you need is a good set of tools, the right support & a little technical knowledge. Of course, a few friendly "assists" doesn't hurt either. Good job!

Back