free website stats program Jiffy stand | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy stand

Same here !!! The first time I ever got on an E-Glide I thought it was going down when I put that Jiffy Stand down. Scared the you know what out of me. Just be sure to leave it in gear and it won't move very much. I also have a piece of leather fastened to my hockey puck. I always wrap it around the handlebars so I won't ride off and leave it behind. Happy Trails...

I hate to be the party pooper by my jiffy stand failed within 2 weeks after buying it. I parked at work and put the jiffy stand down, got off the bike and it fell down behind me. The jiffy stand continued going forward. The dealer ordered a new stand for me. The new one hasn't failed since it was installed in 2005. But what do you expect when the last 3 of the VIN is 666. I've had a few other wierd things happen that the dealer can't explain.

I was used to my Goldwing so I was freaked out by the lean angle and the slight inching forward when I got my 09 Road Glide. Turned out the excessive lean angle was caused by the 09 frame change with the old jiffy stand fitting. HD fixed it. I still get nervous about the play in the jiffy stand but it hasn't let me down yet.

The suggestion by others to drill a hole in a jiffy stand puck and to put a string on it to pull it up is a great idea. Losing your balance while leaning over to pick up a puck without a string is not a good thing. Don't ask me how I know that.

Be sure it's in gear, the stand is fully deployed and on hot days the puck is mandate. My buddy's bike nearly went down one day when we were parked on asphalt. It's a good thing we didn't stay for another cold one.

I know your concern, believe me! I had laid my bike down by tilting it over too far while moving it one day in the driveway and I couldn't pick it up by myself! I had to get help. Afterwards when I would put the bike on the Jiffy stand I would watch the bike move a little bit and I would freak out. I would think " Oh no! It's gonna fall over again".
I even posed on this forum about my uneasyness with the bike falling over. I remember reading Smitty's thread that the Jiffy stand, and I quote "Is a work of art". Well, I didn't believe him ( at first ) :D But then I started raising my bike up on a lift and you want to worry about it falling over, try for the first time lowering it on a lift!! My heart was in my mouth when it came down for the first time and rocked ever so slightly front to back. But it didn't fall over! One time the bike came down faster than usual and I thought for sure it's gonna fall over then, but it didn't! Now I have complete confidence in that stand. I just now watched the video that Smitty had a link to and there's a guy jumping up and down on the bike while it's on the stand. I mean, what does it take to make it fall over? :)
Just make sure it's in gear on an incline. It won't fall over, it'll just walk away from ya!! :s

Have you seen the many videos on picking up a big bike? Youtube has several and there may be some in here, I don't know. I had the misfortune of trying out the procedure the other day, the Road King took everything I had to get it started back up, but I made it. Those who say it's easy are either full of it or are twice my strength. The one fortunate part of the story is that there was NO audience, for a change, it was in my garage.

Is there anything I can do to put my mind at ease?

Study how the stand works when you have the bike on a lift. Once it is locked in place it isn't going anywhere.

I have a habit of cupping the stand with the inside of my boot and rolling the bike back a little - just to be sure.

Have you seen the many videos on picking up a big bike? Youtube has several and there may be some in here, I don't know. I had the misfortune of trying out the procedure the other day, the Road King took everything I had to get it started back up, but I made it. Those who say it's easy are either full of it or are twice my strength. The one fortunate part of the story is that there was NO audience, for a change, it was in my garage.
I have seen the video (several times) so I am pretty familiar with it. I guess I really didn't try hard enough. What ticks me off is that the video show a woman ( a normal size woman!) pick the bike up.MAkes me feel real good!:( I dunno maybe I don't have enough practice picking it up! :p I'll admit it is a technique that I ought to have down pat just in case.

Why do they call it a Jiffy Stand? (Sounds like a muffin mix) Why not a Kick stand. That's how I still refer to mine....

Why do they call it a Jiffy Stand? (Sounds like a muffin mix) Why not a Kick stand. That's how I still refer to mine....

I think it's a carryover from the days when even Harleys had center stands. During my early days (Brit and metric bikes), I almost always used the center stand. The side stand was only used when you were gonna park for a "jiffy" because the side stands were only a round bar (no flat foot) and they would disappear into hot asphalt in a Jiffy. That story sounds good to me. :D

Back