free website stats program Jiffy stand fix... (long) | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy stand fix... (long)

FLHXSrider

Contributor
I'll try to explain the this without too much confusion. I'm not overly mechanically adept but I had help.

I recently (about 2 weeks ago), put my bike down after going around a corner too fast, about 37mph in a 21mph zone, (not smart!) on a really sharp corner so I couldn't see far enough ahead. I had to decide whether to lay it down on the road or hit the ditch. I chose the ditch. My front wheel and a bit hit the ditch (steep) and my crash bar (bent inward) and jiffy stand (so I thought) got bent. Luckily it was grass so there wasn't major damage. The crash bar is being straitend. The jiffy stand was bent at an angle and didn't seem to rest as flat as it used to on the ground. My Dad and I tried to bend the jiffy stand foot up without any luck. I figured it was going to have to be replaced.

Then I recalled someone on this forum mentioning how the jiffy stand "locked" into place when it's extended. We looked at it further and realized that it wasn't sitting in the lock guides properly. I had already washed the bike with a pressure washer to get the dirt off after the ride was complete.

We had a look at my Dad's Ultra (2006) and noticed that it's Jiffy stand is different than mine so we couldn't really compare them. My Dad then got the idea to take the jiffy stand off and see if it was dirty like the crash bar had been. We removed the stand (with attached pin) and cleaned the hole out and re-lubed the pin with heavy oil. Put it back together and now it works like it used to and lies on the ground like it used to. Hopefully this can assist someone else someday.

Thanks to the great knowledge and experience on this forum for giving me the opportunity to read that post (thanks Glider!) originally and giving me the idea to fix it. That's just one reason the forum is so great! :bigsmiley24:

Glad to hear that you are ok and the bike has only minor damage and is going to fix without too much pain
Sometimes there are posted speed limits as the roads demand a low speed
take care

Brian

Glad it worked out for ya. Isn't it cool when you do it yourself (or with help). You can then share your experiences godd or bad with us and we can pick you apart..LOL!!!!!:lolrolling

So glad only your pride got hurt.

Practice your counter stearing in corners. If you try to force a tight corner the bike will not hold the line. I try to work on this technique every time I ride. It seams the corners that continue to a full 90 deg. can be hard to hold the last 20 deg. or so.

Look where you want to go !!!!!

Use this experience as a learning tool for better riding...
Glad thing turned out ok for you.

Look where you want to go !!!!!

Use this experience as a learning tool for better riding...
Glad thing turned out ok for you.

Normally I do use that technique but got worried when I couldn't see ahead due to the sharpness of the corner. I ended up giving up on that theory for that corner but it has definitely helped me in other corners, etc I've experienced since I learned it.

Good information to know - way to be persistent & work through a fix. Glad to see/hear you'll be back on the road again soon.

Back