free website stats program Jetting Problems??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jetting Problems???

Thanks for the reply. I am about to add a couple brass washers (easily found at ACE hardware). Been running a 45 and 195, no change to needle (washers), but air mixture turned out 3.5 turns.

Going to go to 48 / 195, w/ 2 washers... hopefully will be at 1 turn out, maybe 2.

Then gonna do a plug chop and hope all is well. The biggest problem I have right now is weather change.... too cold now, and if I get it right, then I will have to adjust a little more next spring!

I would try the washers first before increasing to a 48 low jet. That is a bit big and throttle response will suffer usually.

I would try the washers first before increasing to a 48 low jet. That is a bit big and throttle response will suffer usually.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The '02 RK came stock 45/190. I bumped it several weeks ago to the 45/195, and added the Arln Ness Big Sucker (more air). Stock air mixture was 2.5 turns, I am running at 3.5 turns now and it is still lean.

I know I should try 1 thing at a time, but after tons of reading and research I know there are 2 problems to fix... more fuel needed at idle (bigger low jet, to compensate for the increase in air), and reposition the needle. If I try both and I still have issues, I will re-evaluate and correct from there.

Proper setup/understanding of the CV carb is the biggest problem. Most think that by upping the jet size it's all good then when they're are a few circuits that have to work together to give good overall performance.

Proper setup/understanding of the CV carb is the biggest problem. Most think that by upping the jet size it's all good then when they're are a few circuits that have to work together to give good overall performance.

Again Glider, I appreciate the suggestion / warning.

Well, I finished. Me and my dang old eyes... last time I put in a 46 for the slow jet. I asked for a 45 (to replace the original 45), and I swear it said 45 when I put it in. Took my reading glasse out today, and saw it was a 46!. Since it was running lean, I did in fact bump it to the 48. I also added 2 washers to the needle.

Putting it back together, I got ALL DONE.... then reached up to twist the throttle to check for freeplay.... throttle would NOT move! Tried to analyze what I did wrong (took about 10 minutes)... the fuel cam at the carb wouldn't move... so I KNEW I needed to take it all apart again.

I realized in putting it back together, I forgot to set the fuel / throttle bracket on the small pin, which creates the pivot point. JUST getting that back all together took another 20 minutes.

I got it all back together, and bottomed out the air/fuel mixture, then backed it out 2 turns (a good starting point). Fired her up and dropped the idle back down a little (closer to 900 now). Did I mention I was also replacing the enricher cable? That went in easily enough.

Took her out for a ride.... no pops or backfire on decel, great acceleration, I'm almost scared to hit 5th gear full throttle (it goes to 80 in 4th now).

The only backfire (I got one through the carb) was on a downshift, which I may have done a little early. And I also did some real hard accelerations.... and when I got back home I noticed some Engine OIL on the timing cover and the right side floorboard. I will have to research what is causing that (unless Glider, or someone else can point me in the right direction).

Will do some more fine tweaking, but I think I am really close... next step is some plug chopping (to verify that the slow and Main jets are both sized properly).

I will tell you all, that even with the frustration I had from having to do the carb again, the sense of accomplishment from wrenching your own bike is great.... and you learn a lot about what is going on with your ride. :D

My throttle stuck on me too... I dk what caused mine though, I took the carb back apart to make sure I reassembled the spring and needle correctly, put it back together, when I grabbed the throttle, it stuck for a sec then clicked and worked perfect!

Hello everyone. Newbe here. But I wanted to ask why not drill the slide? I did it on my 06 1200, and it turned out ok. (drilled out to 1/8 inch)

With the drilling of the slide, the additional size opening can cause the slide to lift to fast in cold temps when the throttle is open suddenly and cause a lean condition which will pop back through the carb.

Sounds like a lot of you have added fuel to the top end. On my 06 1200-C with SE air and SE II slip ons I run the stock main, I dont know if shims was ever added. I have 48 pilot - mixture 2 3/4 out. Runs good and has never backfired, somtimes when I take off with a cold motor, it will pop out the carb, but thats about it. Over 5000 miles this summer with no problems. Maybe next summer I should look at the plugs when hot after a hard run, just to be sure...

Back