free website stats program Jerry Palladino Just Saved My Life | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jerry Palladino Just Saved My Life

Glad to hear you came out the other side in one piece.:ap:cheers

I ordered the RLAP V DVD and book along with the Ride the Dragon and Mean Streets DVDs. Watched the Dragon and Mean Streets so far and now I'm just waiting for the snow to melt and roads to clear.

Glad to hear you came out the other side in one piece.:ap:cheers

I ordered the RLAP V DVD and book along with the Ride the Dragon and Mean Streets DVDs. Watched the Dragon and Mean Streets so far and now I'm just waiting for the snow to melt and roads to clear.

Hey OH, what're the Dragon and Mean Streets dvds like? I'd be interested to know if there's much duplication of material between them and the RLAP. I'd doing the Grossglocknerstrasse in June which is kind of like Europe's Dragon up high in the Alps. Maybe I should watch Jerry's Dragon dvd first :D.

Keep the rubber side down.

Hey OH, what're the Dragon and Mean Streets dvds like? I'd be interested to know if there's much duplication of material between them and the RLAP. I'd doing the Grossglocknerstrasse in June which is kind of like Europe's Dragon up high in the Alps. Maybe I should watch Jerry's Dragon dvd first :D.

Haven't watched the RLAP yet. Just too many other things needing my attention. With 3 ft of snow in the yard and 6 inches of hard packed snow/ice on the driveway, that just isn't at the top of the pile.

I did manage to watch the Dragon and Mean Streets and found them to be informative. With Mean Streets it seems to be alot of common sense stuff but still pretty good.
The Dragon was something I could have used before I went to the Black Hills last summer when I rode the Iron Mountain Road. Lots of tight turns and switchbacks. The video included motorcycle accident scenes from the Dragon and some bonehead moves by cagers and bikers alike. (Gave me the chills seeing how utterly stupid some people can be)

When I get a chance to watch RLAP V, I'll let you know.

That sure was a close call,, glad you made it through ok.

I haven't watched the video, but some years ago when I first started street riding someone told me about a wobble maneuver when approaching intersections with turning traffic, it along with the headlite on hi-beam changes the angle the other driver sees and hopefully you.

The main difference being while RLAP V takes you through the exercises in a controlled setting (parking lot), Surviving the Mean Streets shows more scenarios you can encounter while riding on the street.

RLAP V goes through the basic exercises for the beginner and relatively experienced rider and also has the motor officer training exercises meant for the more experienced.

Surviving the Mean Streets are actual street view scenarios followed up by the parking lot exercises to prepare you for them.

As much as I hate parting with my cash, I think they are both a good investment. If you only spring for one, the RLAP V is a must.

Ride safe

Hi there guys,

I´m new to this site and also to motorbikes. I have been looking at my dad´s video of jerry palladino and have been practicing it in parking lots in order to get my motorbike licence. That is why I'm writing on this thread, cus of Palladino's mention. My family and I have moved to Spain and over here they have 1 teorical test and 2 practical tests. I approved the teorical and the 1st practical I did not make it.

I would love if you could give me some tips. I'm attaching the image of one of the closed routines I have to do. This is the only one I failed, and only at the very end. Not at the braking, but just the part before it.

The trick here is that this routine has to be done in 25 seconds max. I would love your help so I can practice for my next exam next friday June 29th 2011.

Note: all measurements are in meters.

thanks a lot,
Ed

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 39
My assumption is that you "failed" in the swerve section?
More detail please.
If this is correct: how did you fail?
Miss the cones?
Went wide?
Cut the turn too sharp?
Hit a cone?
Took to long to complete the course?

Some general thoughts, remembering when I first took my test and thinking back to the advanced safety courses I have taken:
1.) The pressure of a "TEST" make some people tense and react differently. Slamming into the back of a car at a red light is a different motivational force than running over a rubber cone. The visual cues of speed and location are completely different. I know "failing" is frustrating but the real test is riding safely. A license just makes it "legal for a fee". A license doesn't make you competant or safe. That is always up to you. There is much to learn and it does not happen overnight. You will get it. That course looks like you left from a stop sign, weaved a little because 1.) It was such a nice day, 2.) It is fun to weave on a MC, just because you can. 3.)A little weaving makes you happy. Then you made a left hand merge onto another road, swerved around a road kill rabbit, so you don't have to clean you scoot and came to a stop at a stop sign. Try and think of it that way.
(Whenever I see the cones up that make a rider do multiple weaves, I can't think of a time I have ever done that (more than 2) in avoiding something or normal riding. Typically, you pick one side or the other in a real situation. Other than that, when I weave that many times, I am practicing with cones in a parking lot or just having a little fun on the road.)

2.) "Cones" or "lines" tend to make you focus on them similar to "target fixation". This makes it hard for new riders. When you ride normally, you "look through". If you stare at a pothole, debris, car etc that you want to avoid, you are actually increasing the chance you will hit it. Where you look is where you go. Hope this make sense. That is why it is so important to TURN YOUR HEAD, not just your eyes. This forces you (as a new rider) to NOT look at where you are, but where you are going. So, with a swerve, you see an object you want to avoid and at the same time you begin your swerve and you are already looking beyond the obstacle: where you NEED to go. Not that the thing you are avoiding. Having cones/gates that you have to go through tend to make you focus on the object and that can mess you up.

Last edited:
Thanks Porter and sorry for not being specific.

I failed at the swerve by hitting the yellow cone in the second "yellow" gate, the one on the right in the gate.

After reading your post and replaying in my head the routine I did today at the exam I remember looking at the obstacle (the gates). So thanks for your comments.

We are instructed by the examiner to ride at 18-19mph in the first line of parallel cones then after the U-turn we are supposed to ride at 30-32mph and go through the yellow gates.

My question: Should I practice and do both (i mean the parallel cones and the yellow gates) using the countersteering technique?

My intention is to get the licence, so I can get a bike and practice more before I drive on traffic cus i've been renting a motorbike and driving it in a parking lot is now getting very expensive.

Thanks again, and thanks a lot!

It is the whole "what came first, the chicken or the egg". You simply need to practice to pass the license exam, but need the license to practice.

I can't tell you what to practice, but simply time riding will give you the skills you need.

One other tip: don't think about the speed you are supposed to be moving at, try thinking about what gear you need to be in to hit that speed. That way you are not looking down trying to hit some "number on a dial". Now the road speed will vary per gear ratio in the tranny, but I would guess that 2nd gear should work for the first section and either 2nd or 3rd for the latter half. The point to watch is to make sure you are not to far up in the rpms that if you let off the throttle you could lurch from "engine braking". Doesn't sound like you had a problem with that, but since you are new to riding I thought that that could be something that would make you wiggle a bit or decel hard, when you are trying to be smooth to pass the test.

You'll get it next time!:D

Back