free website stats program Jagg vs. HD Oil Cooler | Harley Davidson Forums

Jagg vs. HD Oil Cooler

Jim B.

I am undecided about whether to get a Jagg 10 row or an HD oil cooler for my 09 Road Glide. I like the fact that the Jagg is frame mounted up out of the way compared to the down low installation of the HD oil cooler. On the other hand, I like the fact that the HD oil cooler comes with all the hoses, etc. and looks like it was installed at the factory. I'd appreciate any comments from those of you who have either. Thanks.

Main reason i went with the HD one is it came with everything.. and price was more reasonable than the jagg

After adding the oil cooler what did you notice most, better oil pressure, less engine lifter noise? I understand keeping the oil cooler should lead to better protection. We get a few hot days here in the NW but I have noticed with long rides on hot days I have more lifter noise than I like, of course dealer said they all do that.

I had an old Derale cooler laying around so I ordered the filter adapter and did the install I bet I spent the better part of the day making brackets and fitting hoses then deciding that it was too low then making new brackets and refitting the hoses. Three or four attempts later I have it where I like it. Messy job taking cooler and hoses off. The oil drips everywhere. If I did it again would go for the Harley cooler though I believe that the Jagg is a better product.

I went with HD oil cooler because it comes with everything you need to install it , also with the mounting placement & the molded hoses it looks like it was installed by the factory , also the HD oil cooler cost less than a Jagg setup .

Jagg makes oil coolers, HD makes motorcycles. Stick with the experts. I read a real good article about flow vs pressure. That was the main reason I bought the Jagg.

10-row vertical Jagg

Put the HD oil cooler on my Ultra about a year ago. If memory serves me, it was about $250 and as was pointed out, it is a complete unit, thermostatically controlled. The location while out of the way, does work well, but it is a little tight to install. Aside from paying attention to how the gasket that mounts the cooler adapter to the oil filter mount is aligned, it's fairly simple. Adding the cooler adds about 1/2" to the total length of the oil filter assembly, so when you do a filter change, you have to remove the crank sensor. No big deal, but kind of annoying. I called HD about this as I figured maybe I overlooked something, and they said no, nothing was overlooked, that's the way it is. Aside from that, I am satisfied with the coolers cost and performance.

Thanks everyone for responding to my post. Since opinion seemed pretty much equally divided, I went with the HD oil cooler because it was cheaper to begin with and I got a 10% discount at my dealer due to my H.O.G. membership.

Adding the cooler adds about 1/2" to the total length of the oil filter assembly, so when you do a filter change, you have to remove the crank sensor. No big deal, but kind of annoying. I called HD about this as I figured maybe I overlooked something, and they said no, nothing was overlooked, that's the way it is.

I have the HD oil cooler & I never had to remove the crank sensor , you only need to get the oil filter tool that has the opening for the crank sensor , your HD dealer should have them .

Myself I like the Jagg on the downtube - away from the engine and less likely to be damaged by something flying up off the road. I also think you do not need a thermostat unless you ride mostly short trips in under 40 degree weather as you may get too much moisture build up in the oil.

According to Jagg's own testing the HD cooler drops the oil temperature more than the Jagg but the HD also drops oil pressure more than Jagg. Overall I imagine either would work just as well under normal street riding conditions. A highly modified engine being run hard might be different.

I don't claim to know but this is what I think.

Back