free website stats program Jackshaft Bolt too Short | Harley Davidson Forums

Jackshaft Bolt too Short

Rockdaddy

I have removed my inner primary to replace the shifter lever on my 1990 FLHTCU. Now I’m having a problem put the jackshaft bolt back in, it seems as it’s too short. I have the gear seated as far in as it will go, but bolt is about ¼ inch too short to catch the threads. Has anyone had this issue before or should I just get a longer bolt?

I have removed my inner primary to replace the shifter lever on my 1990 FLHTCU. Now I’m having a problem put the jackshaft bolt back in, it seems as it’s too short. I have the gear seated as far in as it will go, but bolt is about ¼ inch too short to catch the threads. Has anyone had this issue before or should I just get a longer bolt?

Do you think you could have put the coupling in backwards? Number 248 in the schematic. I would bet that is the problem.

1990 Harley-Davidson FLHTC-U Parts, 1990 Harley-Davidson FLHTC-U OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

TQ

I didn't pull the Coupling (248) out. I backed out the Bolt and pulled the bolt along with the 2 washers (locking), Bendix gear, Spring and the geared shaft.
I have the coupling (400) seated in the primary with the snap ring deep side inward. Doe's maybe the gear/shaft go in first when the coupling(400)?
Thanks

Is the correct sequence to install the starter jackshaft be:
Install the Jackshaft in smaller 3/4in Coupling, then installed the larger 1 1/2in Coupling over the jackshaft, then followed by the spring, pinion gear, washers all held together with the long bolt?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't pull the Coupling (248) out. I backed out the Bolt and pulled the bolt along with the 2 washers (locking), Bendix gear, Spring and the geared shaft.
I have the coupling (400) seated in the primary with the snap ring deep side inward. Doe's maybe the gear/shaft go in first when the coupling(400)?
Thanks

Is the correct sequence to install the starter jackshaft be:
Install the Jackshaft in smaller 3/4in Coupling, then installed the larger 1 1/2in Coupling over the jackshaft, then followed by the spring, pinion gear, washers all held together with the long bolt?

Check out this schematic. It is a cleaner picture:

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's FLHTC-U ULTRA CLASSIC® ELECTRA GLIDE (DP) Parts Image

This is the sequence starting with #31 out (to the left). #16 is already inside #31, and if you haven't taken #31 off the starter shaft, then #31 is on correctly (hopefully - if it was working before you disassembled!!). BTW, #17 is inside #47.

TQ

Back