free website stats program Jackshaft Assembly (extra bushing) | Harley Davidson Forums

Jackshaft Assembly (extra bushing)

iwlu25

Bike:1997 Electra Glide Standard - FLHT
Project:Starter replacement
Information source:Official Factory Service Manual (P.N.99483-97A)
I pulled the primary chaincase cover to remove the jackshaft bolt and pulled the starter from the machine. My issue:Had to leave the house fast, so I just laid all the parts on the floor for later. Now I have a bushing that is not showing on the starter jackshaft assembly parts diagram. I am almost (99%) sure this bushing came from the jackshaft from the starter side. Can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• 20130408_135101-2.jpg
    20130408_135101-2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20130408_134830-2.jpg
    20130408_134830-2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 30
I think it is a bushing for the Primary on the inside where the extension shaft comes thru. I'm looking at the parts manual P/N99456-97 on page 48, item #19(p/n33445-94). It shows 2 different bushing in the primary. When you put the coupling back on it goes only 1 way for the jack shaft to seat properly. It has a keeper ring inside of it that is offset from center. I believe the shorter depth goes to the starter side.
tourbox

This bushing also has a wear mark on the inside dead center of the bushing like a shaft has been spinning (maybe from the jackshaft) inside of the bushing. Maybe this bushing flushes with the boss of the primary chaincase lip seal.

Will the extra bushing fit on the smooth end of the pinion gear? If it does then it goes in the outer primary cover. 4 speeds had a bearing in there. They went to the bushings on 5 speeds. I think #19 I spoke of earlier is the bushing for the coupler of the pinion gear(larger diameter).
I don't know of any bushing between on the jack shaft on the starter side.
tourbox

This bushing also has a wear mark on the inside dead center of the bushing like a shaft has been spinning (maybe from the jackshaft) inside of the bushing. Maybe this bushing flushes with the boss of the primary chaincase lip seal.

Will the extra bushing fit on the smooth end of the pinion gear? If it does then it goes in the outer primary cover. 4 speeds had a bearing in there. They went to the bushings on 5 speeds. I think #19 I spoke of earlier is the bushing for the coupler of the pinion gear(larger diameter).
I don't know of any bushing between on the jack shaft on the starter side.
tourbox

Looks like you found your answer, check it for play on the end of the shaft before reinstalling it:D

Conclusion:I now have a extra bushing, maybe the prior owner placed this bushing on the jackshaft. I can not find any reason or manual diagram for this bushing. So, I replaced the the old starter drive clutch (assembly/overrunning) with a Spyke's replacement starter drive clutch part #:400111 and now I'm going for some wind théräpÿ.

Back