free website stats program It's me again.....lol | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

It's me again.....lol

Ok, next dumb question......if i go the route of replacing just the ring gear does it need to be riveted back on or can it be bolted back on??
Tony

Just went online...compu fire has ring with bolts and starter bendix for $159 ......sounds like I found my fix .....thanks guys for the input .....now lets get er fixed and start riding......lol
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Well guys I opted to go with total new clutch pack on my scoot instead of just the ring.......Greg at Southside Harley in Indy gave me .....I think a good deal, new pack cost me $296 instead of $349......I Figured I've been in the primary so much i might just as well replace clutches also.....everything else is new.....lol.....maybe[cross my fingers] i won't have to go in there again...lol...I got 15% off everything........may not sound like much but I really thought He treated me right......Ohhh I snuck in a new piece of chrome also.....lol.....Will let you know later today after install and timing check if kick back and starting problem is fixed.
Thanks for all the input and reading me vent.
Tony

Ok, heres the update got it all together hopes were high......hit the starter button and ......click.....click......click......wouldn't crank......my girlfriend stood there shaking her head mumbling under her breath....sick sinking feeling .....frustrated.......saying words I can't print here....you know...lol....Took the starter back off and tore it apart.....checked and repacked the gears found nothing wrong....put starter back on.....hit button ...click.....click......thinking to myself scratching my head......ok sounds like solenoid not engaging.....ohhh by the way put a new solenoid kit in it two weeks ago......pulled cover off front of solenoid held finger on end of plunger...hit the button and it cranked everytime......??????.......took new plunger out and put old one back in put cover on......fires everytime.........now realize maybe after solenoid rebuild it was not allowing starter to stay engaged causing the kick back.....what do you think?? Bike cranks better and starts faster.....I know it sounds stupid but I swear it sounds better cranking now than it ever has....I guess I said all that to help someone else who maybe having the same type problem......Thanks Guys for the help and input
Tony

Well a friend of mine just came back from the dealer he has a roadking....said his bike was kicking back on start......dealer replaced starter and all is well......guess that answered one question ....yes if starter solenoid is not staying engaged it will cause a kick back....
Tony

I had the same issue. While changing the primary chain I noticed the ring gear was all chewed up. It was going to cost $500 just for a new clutch assembly(minus the clutch plates) and $280 for a new pinion gear (Ouch). The ring gear was rivited to the old clutch assemly.

After a discussion with my brother-inlaw, we carefully ground out the rivets and bought an aftermarket ring and pinion gear from the HD dealer. Total cost $290.

After finding out what bolt size was provided, we drilled out the holes on the clutch assembly to the correct size on his drill press. Torques spec were provide and loctite 262 was used to finished the job.

$40 for a new primary gasket
$290 for after market pinion and ring gear.
$15 for HD+ primary oil

I highly doubt that a failing starter can cause a kickback strong enough to eat gear teeth.

It will if you do what I did.

I thought the engine would not start , so in my haste I pushed the starter button a second time. I did not react fast enough as the engine started. Half the teeth are almost gone for almost 3 inches on the ring gear.

It was an expensive lesson. I now take my time pushing the starter button

I don't know about anyone else......but when i hit the start button I didn't [like Dan] let off quick enough so starter with the kick back ate the teeth on my ring gear......I won't say that it will happen on everyones bike I am just relating my experience.....Take it how you will......I am not a Harley Mechanic....But I was an automotive mechanic....
Tony

OK, Update......Been a couple weeks.....Bike is running well no starter kick back......starts great.....and I'm a happy man...lol
Thanks for reading and posting replys.
Tony

BC...glad you got the problem sorted and probably can pull the primary cover blindfolded. When I had starter clutch go out couple of months ago I immediately felt your pain in your original post. Working on the bike all torn apart in the garage, and my gal asking when I will be done! Since there are a lot of things happening at startup, any degradation can cascade into all kinds of problems, and you experienced one of the toughest. Now enjoy the ride, you earned it big time!

Last edited:
Well I was in it so much i was trying to figure out how to put a zipper on it....lol....Thanks guys again for the positive input......This is a great site and very uplifting when yer bike is down.
Tony

Back