free website stats program It's me again.....lol | Harley Davidson Forums

It's me again.....lol

Ok , first let me say I love my scoot. But i need to figure out how to put a zipper on my primary cover......Lord it is wearing me out taking it off.....Got all my problems fixed as in compensator,charging system,final drive belt.
Rode to work monday all was well......went to start it motor kicked back and blew the teeth off the bendix drive.....tore it down yesterday and low and behold it took the teeth off my flywheel too......I guess my question is what caused the motor to kick back in the first place......help......Called the dealer and between the bendix drive and clutch housing is over 500 bucks.....me doing the labor......I love to work on my scoot but this is really getting old......I Want To Ride Not Repair.......Granted Bike is a 95......but it only has 26,000 miles on it...lol....seems like in the last two seasons of riding i've repaired it more than i've ridden it......ohhh let me say I do not beat my bike......Does my bike have a personality??? .....yes and right now it reminds me off a spoiled child.....wheres my belt....lol.......Bike does run strong with edelbrock heads and cams.....carberated......could timing be off causing the kick back???
Well anyway thanks for reading this and any comments will be appreciated.
Tony

It's a good possibility that the timing is advanced a bit too much causing the kickback. The addition of a cam will sometimes complicate matters here too depending on the cam timing and valve opening.If your static compression on the motor is overly high this could also be adding to the problem.

I have a 98 softail thats stock. I get a little kickback too when trying to start. (mainly when hot) Just the occasional backfire. Another thing i noticed that makes me think my timing may need to be retarded a bit is when i kill it with the kill switch (and not the ignition switch) it seems like it wants to keep going. I don't have a timing light or anything so i might just tap it back a fuzz to see if that helps. Sounds like it might get expensive to not do so after reading your post.

I guess i should ask... Should my timing be advanced, or retarded? (I was thinking retarded)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's kicking back it should be retarded from where it is now. The plug is firing too early in the cycle .

Would that be what both signs are pointing to? Although its only happened once (because i usually kill it from the ignition switch i think) Would the timing being too advanced cause it to want to keep going after its been killed at the handlebar switch?

Generally the run on is caused by a higher than normal idle or carbon build up in the cylinders which could raise the compression ratio too causing a hard start and possibly a kickback. Timing could play a part in it too.

I've had it run on a little after shut down too, set idle down and that helped.......spent $2600 on new jugs and pistons about 3000 miles ago ....but thats a whole nuther story.....that was when I let someone else do my repairs learned real fast to do it myself.......well when i get it running again i will recheck the timing ....I Don't want this to happen again......Yep Steve it will get expensive.....better safe than sorry......thanks Glider for your patiance.....
Tony

Last edited:
I had a 98 Springer Softail that started kicking back and eating the starter clutch, and then starter pinion gears. It eventually broke teeth off of the ring gear on the clutch basket. It happened when I tried to start it when the engine was at operating temperature.
The problem was the ignition module under the seat. I had the Screaming-Eagle module installed and never had the problem again:p.
The module would advance the timing when I shut off the engine, and when I tried to re-start it, it would kick back and eat gear teeth.
This fix came at the end of a lot of research and agony:bigsmiley19:. I hope it fixes your problem.

Tony, you don`t have to trash the outer clutch shell, just drill out the rivets that hold the ring gear on, and replace the gear. The ring gear and pinion gear are available from several aftermarket sources, maybe even Harley. Way less than 500 bucks...

Would that be what both signs are pointing to? Although its only happened once (because i usually kill it from the ignition switch i think) Would the timing being too advanced cause it to want to keep going after its been killed at the handlebar switch?

Both switches do the same thing, turn off the power. Maybe the contacts in the handlebar switch are a little corroded because you don`t use it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back