free website stats program It's Home! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

It's Home!

We brought my neighbour an Ultra 3 years ago. He was 74 then and hadn't been on a big bike in years. He road to the end of our dead end road and was turning that big machine around and he dropped it. I ran to the scene and helped him pick it up and was thinking that he might decide to sell it because that he might think that it was too big and heavy but he got back on and rode it and practiced turning in the field and a couple of years later traded it on a newer machine. Now he is 78 and sold the bike.
Ken

Thats a great story. Gonna get a taller pair of boots and have at it.

Enjoy your new ride & have fun. Dropping it is just a thing that happens, hopefully when no one is around & you ate your Wheaties.

Toby

Yes they are heavy,, but the guards protect them well,, I learned this on my own,,,, anyway,, take your time and enjoy every minute of it.. :) Ride Safe... Tim

Congrats on the new bike, Practice and you will be fine. I am short@ 5-7 and have had baggers, yep they are heavy but they turn on a dime:s The dual disc brakes really lay the law down quick if you know what I mean

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a great story. Gonna get a taller pair of boots and have at it.

Members Used to Laugh when i suggested to get Tall Heels and Thick Soles on their riding boots INSTEAD of spending $$$ lowering and re- seating their bikes..

I was very serious but taken Joke-fully by some..

I have a pair of boots with the thicker soles and They DID a good job of Keeping my bikes UP easier, especially on UNEVEN ground... A 1/2 inch made a big difference...

Maybe I spelled it Wrong;;;;; SOULS:lolrolling :newsmile108:

Good for You.. no matter how you spell it....

signed....BUBBIE

Members Used to Laugh when i suggested to get Tall Heels and Thick Soles on their riding boots INSTEAD of spending $$$ lowering and re- seating their bikes..

I was very serious but taken Joke-fully by some..

I have a pair of boots with the thicker soles and They DID a good job of Keeping my bikes UP easier, especially on UNEVEN ground... A 1/2 inch made a big difference...

Maybe I spelled it Wrong;;;;; SOULS:lolrolling :newsmile108:

Good for You.. no matter how you spell it....

signed....BUBBIE

I agree, totally. I struggled with my Ultra in certain conditions. I really didn't want to go for the expense of lowering the Ultra and, heard/read enough cons about doing so, to decide it was not the way to go for me. I had my boots worked on. I picked up 1/2 with the soles and another 1/4 inch with inserts. The difference was felt immediately. And, of course, with practice, the Paladino DVD, my control of the bike keeps getting better and better. If I ever start to feel a loss of confidence or that I'm picking up a bad habit, I head to a parking lot and work on whatever is bugging me.

Ok, had a buddy that has a Glide come over today. We checked the psi in the shocks and both showed 0. put 25 in the rear and 20 in the front seemed to really help the dive every time I touched the brake. He drove my bike to a state park about 10 mi away and then I did laps around a road in the park.

I then HAD to drive it home. The smile was ear to ear. We got home and he had my wife get on the back of his and we rode back to the park. I then did my laps with swmbo on the back. I was amazed how little you feel a rider on the big bike.

Then I got to drive my wife home with the radio on watching the sun set across the lake. Just way to cool.

Thanks all for the tips and kind words. I still am going to take a saftey course and by no means feel like I know it all. But The scared nervous feeling is now under control.

Matt

Back