free website stats program It's gonna be a darn cold ride!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

It's gonna be a darn cold ride!!

If you have any kind of "rain gear", it will break the wind and keep down the wind chill factor and help a lot. Careful with the rain gear on the pipes, you don't want it melted on the pipes. If you have snowmobile/ski gear for your head/face/hands and neck, use it.

Like fin 676 said, wear the waterproof clothing because you definitely want to keep out the wind penetration. If you have a snowmobile suit that'll keep you warm. And like others have said, warm gloves & layers!! You might want to wear a full face helmet with a Balaclava underneath. If possible tote along a thermos of hot coffee for an occasional sip to warm your innards! And if all else fails and you can't take the cold, duck into a Dunkin Donuts or someplace to give yourself a chance to thaw out. I have found chaps not particularly warm. They're good for preventing road rash if you go down but as far as keeping us warm, they're not all what they are cracked up to be. The exception to that would be on a cold sunny day. The sun heats up the black leather and then they keep me warm a lot better. I think you'll be just fine.

If you have any kind of "rain gear", it will break the wind and keep down the wind chill factor and help a lot. Careful with the rain gear on the pipes, you don't want it melted on the pipes. If you have snowmobile/ski gear for your head/face/hands and neck, use it.

+1 on the snowmobile gear. I ride as soon as its warm enough to tolerate. Usually that means around freezing. I always get the same comments like "isn't it a bit cold for a motorcycle?" I usually just smile and agree. But one day, a lady wearing a snowmobile jacket asked me the same question. I just assumed that those that ride a snowmobile would know that there is clothing available for cold weather. When I used to snowmobile, there were some mornings we were starting out and it was -20F. Whatever, I guess I'm just stupid like that.

:So no one but me would take the cage. Drop off the wife....I love riding ..but not freezing..I gess Im just old..:small3d031:

:So no one but me would take the cage. Drop off the wife....I love riding ..but not freezing..I gess Im just old..:small3d031:

Hey mat , dont feel like the " Lone Ranger" there buddy!!! Would have jumped in my pickup truck myself!!!! Hahahaha!!!!!

Yep, layer up. Get some long handles under the jeans. Under armor is good, silk is also good. Sounds like you are good on the top half. Your legs might get cold but, you should make 28 miles.

Columbia also makes some REAL good cold weather gear. It traps your body heat and reflects it back on you in almost a warm bubble kind of way. They also make rain pants and jackets that fold into itself so when packed up its about 5"x5" perfect to throw in saddle bags and forget about till u need them. As long as you keep your hands and face warm you should be good. Make sure to keep an extra eye on the cagers as they wont be ecpecting to see a bike.

Thermals at your favorite K-mart, Sears or Target...works fine. I also use H-D or my ol' Hein Gehreke leathers w/ quilted liner, "It's a Wrap" fleece lined leather scarf, 1/2 helmet with faceshield or full face...all good to about 30*F with no issues. If raining, then out comes the Nelson Rigg 2 piece gear. Pays dividends with a well prepared and toasty warm pilot...!:s

Think I made a post about the rider againsed mother nature and the satisfaction one gets from facing it head on. Have a great ride, I will be chickening out and take the truck tomarow.

:hii

Back