free website stats program It's Been Lowered | Harley Davidson Forums

It's Been Lowered

90FXRS

Contributor
The scooter I just acquired, 2003 FLSTFI, has been lowered and I would like to bring it back up. Do I need to pull the lowers off or just take off the caps to install the factory height springs? I'm assuming just pull the caps. I'm wondering why when I put the bike on the jack to change the tires the front end did not fully extend? I'm never gotten into a front end so this is why I ask.

Looking at a diagram I would say you are right. See attached. After removing # 20 loosen the pinch bolts for the trees and let top of the tube slide down between the trees. Re-tighten the pinch bolt and remove # 28. Be very carefull with # 28 it is under spring tension. You may need to slide the leg completely out of the trees to put # 28 back in. It's also a good time to replace your fluid.

tourbox

When I lowered my front end on my '12 UC, the kit contained springs and new #42s (from the diagram tourbox posted). Besides those two items (on each side), all the other stuff was reused except for the seals and crush gaskets. The forks had to be removed from the trees to make the change (have to flip the forks upside down to get #42 to slide out after you remove #19).

BTW - I have the original stuff from my UC if you find that the OEM parts are common to your bike. Let me know if you want it.

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
I agree with TQ. If the forks don't fully extend when on lift, they have the #42 lowering kit damper tube in them.

TQ, the dampening tubes are different from a Softail and Touring....I figured they would be. I'll have to get it up on the jack again to verify that the forks do not fully extend when lifted. This is sounding like a winter project because if something happens to the one bike, Lord forbid, I'd like to have the other to ride. Thanks to all of you for the education in front ends. I see no reason not to change the seals and fluids if it's going to come apart. When all of this happens, I will post an update with what I found and did to raise it back to stock height.

Back