free website stats program Is this normal? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is this normal?

diver4life

Hi, Like I said before this is my first HD (2010 Superglide) yesterday while I was riding I noticed that each time I apllied the front brake it maked like a shiirping sound, not loud but a continuous sound. Can not remember if I heard it before when I took it out of the dealer. It is normal? Thanks...

Mine does it as well.
Don't know exactly what it is, but I think it's pretty normal.
Anyway the result is the same: Dyna's are not braking champions! :(

After 1 year and a half, I learned that is better to slow down with the rear brake: it seems more effective!

Ciao
Ugo

Give 'er a few miles & let those pads wear a bit. Also, don't forget to wash-out the brake dust after riding and things should quiet down over time. Now...if you see some deep grooves wearing into the front disk - take it to the dealer for repair. Enjoy!

You'll get some strange noises from brakes at times especially when new before the pads seat in. You can try blowing out the pad area with some compressed air to remove brake dust. Some pads require chamfering to eliminate the noises .

Brake Squeal - Harley Davidson Community

I would let the dealer worry about the noise if it persists.

You also may want to add the year of your bike to your avatar area for future questions.

I don't know what a "shiirping" sound is but a drilled rotor will also add some strange but normal sounds as the holes get closed off and re-open while they pass the brake pads. The thermodynamics of slotted rotors is much better if you have a future choice.

Thanks everybody for the fast responses. Also Glider, I dont know how to update my info, I tried but I kind of lost . Later I will take my time .

Go up to the top of the screen to "User CP" and find "edit your details" at the top of the list on the left . It's in there.

Disc brakes making a light swishing noise very light drag is normal for single action disc brakes used on HD motorcycles. Single action means that the piston pressure is applied pushing the pad in contact with the disk until the opposite pad moves caliper to contact other side of disk, pinching it and stopping it.

Back